Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BURN, HEAT, and COLD damage tokens.  (Read 1765 times)

The Hidden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
BURN, HEAT, and COLD damage tokens.
« on: December 13, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

Is there any difference between them in terms of damage?

Is heat and cold related to temperature, or creatures that are fire immune and/or immune to cold can still take damage from those attacks?

[ December 13, 2007: Message edited by: The Hidden ]

hat''s it for now.

Ltheb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BURN, HEAT, and COLD damage tokens.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 08:41:00 pm »

Wow, I didn't know there was a cold damage type yet. *goes off to mod*

I don't think burn damage cares about temp (its just another kind of damage, but with nasty-sounding messages) but I don't know about heat or cold damage. My guess is they work against fire-immune foes but I have not tested it yet. (Is there a cold-immune tag?)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ltheb:
Is there a cold-immune tag?
[LAYERING:1000]
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

The Hidden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »

I added those to DF's wiki "Combat" article not too long ago, after doing a few tests.  I also added the damage messages as well.

I tested HEAT with a spirit of fire-like creature, everytime I killed someone, their corpse ignited.  I wonder if this is still the same with the original spirit of fire (that uses BURN)?

[ December 13, 2007: Message edited by: The Hidden ]

hat''s it for now.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

Heat heats things up upon impact, making them burn to death or just incinerating them to ashes.

Burn causes massive pain, but not fire/flaming death.

Cold freezes them to death, nothing really special.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 09:40:00 pm »

There's already a cold damage type? Nice. I think there should be different extents though, so we could make things get stunned upon a weak cold attack, but killed instantly on a strong one.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 01:52:00 am »

From what i know BURN don't have to do with heat damage. Its more of burning pain. Very painful attacksl like jellyfish stings.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:30:00 am »

From what I'd heard, it seemed to me like some sort of acid.  But I guess pain does make sense, I never really encountered it in adventure mode (all one hour that I've played of it, half of which was one rest)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 01:44:00 am »

You know, I spent a good deal of time trying to mod in crossbow ammo that would burn creatures and cause them to light on fire, and oops! there is already a tag to make it do just that.

oh well.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Hesitris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 05:53:00 am »

Oh. Oh really? This is interesting. How would you get this onto a weapon? Would you stick it into a material, or is this the same damage type that you see on weapons such as SLASH, PIERCE, GORE, etc?

If so, I'd like to know how to make those bolts and be able to have my dwarves produce them..

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 02:11:00 am »

Just open up item_ammo.txt (in dwarf fortress\raw\objects and delete [PIERCE] and add [HEAT] to bolts. Best to make a backup, even though it is really just a simple change. No world generation needed.

If you want to add special bolts instead (so the goblins are not lighting you on fire) that's a bit more complicated. Add:

code:

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_FIREBOLTS]
[NAME:firebolt:firebolts]
[CLASS:BOLT]
[DAMAGE:100:HEAT]

to item_ammo.txt

and

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_FIREBOLTS]

to entity_default.txt under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN], and generate a new world. You can replace [NAME:firebolt:firebolts] with whatever you want them to be named.

Note: I have not tested this, and I might have forgotten something. Also I'm not 100% sure a weapon can take 2 types of ammo (though I don't see why not) so it might not work. Also (afaik) there is no way to set it so they can only be made from certain metals (or even not made from bone/wood). Make backups of everything you change.

Edit: don't change the first thing if you are going to add new bolts in, or the goblins will light you on fire anyway and it will all be for nothing.

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: BurnedToast ]

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »

So if you wanted to make a wizard-type character, you could give them "wands" that are crossbows with charges that deal HEAT, BURN, and COLD type damages...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 01:45:00 am »

And then watch your fortress be destroyed in entirely new and amusing ways, as your fledgling magicians proceed to burn and freeze the fortress from the inside with their new power.

Dwarves should not be allowed to handle dangerous objects...

Hesitris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 08:30:00 am »

I haven't made those bolts yet as I haven't bothered much with fortress mode lately, but I've been fiddling around with the damage types by way of tweaking the weapon raws to change the damage type of my already existing weapon in Adventure mode. Unfortunately, I can't get anything to burst into flames from HEAT or BURN damage, even if I crank the damage modifier up to obscene amounts. The two seem to have pretty much the same effect, in fact; lots of nasty-sounding damage messages involving heat-related damage, ending in the affected body part getting incinerated if it takes enough damage, but never any smoke or actual fire. I was using this in a scorching-hot climate and it wasn't always raining, so those weren't stopping anything. I've noticed that COLD damage will cause its victims to become exhausted quickly, though.

Guess those "fire bolts" won't be as spectacular as I hoped after all.