Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Individual Legendary Creatures of Myth  (Read 887 times)

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Individual Legendary Creatures of Myth
« on: November 14, 2007, 02:57:00 am »

I haven't had a chance to try this out yet (I am heading off to bed soon), but I figured I would put this up here now anyways:

The idea here is that your dwarves will be able to engrave images of individual hardcoded (mythical) creatures and have them described by name. I used creatures from Norse mythology in my example, but in theory you could do this with any mythic figures:

Put this in "creature_mythic.txt" in your '/raw/objects' folder:

code:

creature_mythic

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:FENRIR]
   [NAME:legendary beast, Fenrir, the monsterous wolf:monsterous wolves:monsterous wolf]
   [TILE:'W'][COLOR:0:0:1]
   [MODVALUE:50]
   [FANCIFUL]
   [PREFSTRING:mighty jaws]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [MALE]

[CREATURE:JORMUNGANDR]
   [NAME:legendary beast, Jormungandr, the world serpent:monsterous serpents:monsterous serpent]
   [TILE:'S'][COLOR:2:0:0]
   [FANCIFUL]
   [PREFSTRING:legendary length]
   [MALE]

[CREATURE:GULLINBURSTI]
   [NAME:legendary beast, Gullinbursti, the golden boar:mythic golden boars:golden boar]
   [TILE:'B'][COLOR:6:0:1]
   [FANCIFUL]
   [PREFSTRING:fine craftsdwarfship]
   [PREFSTRING:glowing mane and bristles of gold]
   [MALE]

[CREATURE:SLEIPNIR]
   [NAME:legendary beast, Sleipnir, the steed of Odin:mythic steeds:mythic steed]
   [TILE:'H'][COLOR:4:0:0]
   [FANCIFUL]
   [PREFSTRING:eight legs]
   [MALE]

With any luck, you should get items decorated with images of "a legendary beast, Fenrir, the monsterous wolf in elf bone".

I haven't tested it yet, but the only thing that might make it not work would be the commas in the fanciful creatures' names; if names happen to not like commas you could remove them, although the engraving descriptions may not flow as well grammatically.

Fenrir

Re: Individual Legendary Creatures of Myth
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:38:00 am »

:D AWESOME!!!   :D The wolf awakes!! Now I've got to make a Viking civ! Shame there are no ships, though.

EDIT: Well, since the Vikings weren't a civ, but Scandinavian pirates, I could just play as humans.

[ November 14, 2007: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Legendary Creatures of Myth
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 11:54:00 pm »

If you want Vikings you could always add a duplicate human civ with BABYSNATCHER instead of SIEGER.

OT:  This idea rocks, though you misspelled monstrous in your example.  :P