Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hammocks, plywood and fake bones  (Read 987 times)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hammocks, plywood and fake bones
« on: November 13, 2007, 06:56:00 pm »

Today I got my dwarves to press 20 cave fern threads into one Plywood log.
I added a Plywood tree but didn't add any biomes so it wouldn't naturally appear anywhere in the world.

So, in theory, it should be possible to create a tree type called "Hammock" and have dwarves turn threads of any kind directly into a "Hammock bed" at the smelter.

This would be rather neat and more than a few kinds of awesome. Perhaps it would be possible to, for example, create "Fake bones" by adding a creature named fake in the raws and a proper reaction at the smelter.
Or perhaps even create a plant called 'dwarven beard', and make it only appear as threads when a poor dwarf dies. Dwarven beard socks, anyone?

My only worry is that plywood might decide to appear in other civilizations as well. Elves using plywood weapons doesn't feel right.

Would there be any other useful/funny/lethal uses for these pseudo-materials? I might turn this into a fun little mod if there is enough interest.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hammocks, plywood and fake bones
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 07:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rhodan:
<STRONG>My only worry is that plywood might decide to appear in other civilizations as well. Elves using plywood weapons doesn't feel right.</STRONG>

You should be safe from this. Civilizations only use materials that are available in biomes near their towns. If you make a no-biome material, it shouldn't be available to any civ.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 07:57:00 pm »

That's good to know.

I encountered a strange problem, though. For some reason, my weaver refuses to accept dwarven beard threads as being plant fiber or any other kind of weavable material. They have no trouble putting the thread in the cloth stockpile though. Am I missing something?

[ November 13, 2007: Message edited by: Rhodan ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

Dwarven beard is a plant?  (Just making sure it's not a destructive animal extract or something. ;-))

It's possible the plant fibre stuff is all still hard-coded to rope reeds and pig tails.

[edit]Missed that in the OP.  Have you tried working with it at a clothier under silk?

[ November 13, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »

I tried clothiers, looms, ordering it through the manager,... Perhaps not having it available in any biome makes it not be recognized as an actual plant or something. My cave ferns have no problems being used for all kinds of stuff.

Shame, the same technique could be used to make sheep drop wool when butchered (dwarves being very bad at shearing and all)

Perhaps creating the beard out of the silk of a fake 'dwarven beard' creature? They'd drop dwarven beard silk then, making dwarven beard silk cloth for dwarven beard silk socks.

Connie Radical

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 11:54:00 pm »

Would making them a completely viable plant, packing it into a biome where nobody settles, and then excising the SEEDS line work?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »

This might be troling, but I just want to inform you that this thread is FREKIN HILARIUS!!!  :D

"The fake strikes the dwarven beard in the head whit is +plywood sword+"  :D

I will stop now.

These are great and creative ideas.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...