Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How should I mod following creatures?  (Read 796 times)

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How should I mod following creatures?
« on: November 13, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

Can anyone experienced offer advice what tags and values I should use to mod in the following critters to appear on the maps?

1)Water creature that can function equally well on land, very agressive, attacks the fortress in groups, spawns in groups in swamps and on shores.

2)Flying creature that only appears at night in small groups. Will attack dwarves that come too close. Very suspectible to drowning.

3)Creature that uses a dragon-breath like cone attack but the attack causes normal physical damage instead of fire.

4)Creature that only spawns during Autumn.

5)Creature that spawns from the chasm and can dig trough rock. If possible, it should cause as much damage as possible with it's digging.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: How should I mod following creatures?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 03:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Svirfneblim:
<STRONG>Can anyone experienced offer advice what tags and values I should use to mod in the following critters to appear on the maps?

1)Water creature that can function equally well on land, very agressive, attacks the fortress in groups, spawns in groups in swamps and on shores.

2)Flying creature that only appears at night in small groups. Will attack dwarves that come too close. Very suspectible to drowning.

3)Creature that uses a dragon-breath like cone attack but the attack causes normal physical damage instead of fire.

4)Creature that only spawns during Autumn.

5)Creature that spawns from the chasm and can dig trough rock. If possible, it should cause as much damage as possible with it's digging.</STRONG>

1. [AMPHIBIOUS] is the one you want. Just do a copy-paste for something like carp and add the amphibious tag and they'll hop around on shore. Then rename them something else and you have Elephants mark 2. You'll also want [LARGE_ROAMING] probably.

2. A flying creature that's susceptible to.. drowning? Pretty sure that's not really possible. Just copy-paste the giant eagle, change their [DIURNAL] to [NOCTURNAL], and add something like [POPULATION_NUMBER:20:50], [CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:10], and [LOOSE_CLUSTERS]. Voila, terrifying flocks of renamed giant eagles.

3. Not possible. Fire breathing is hardcoded.

4. [NO_WINTER], [NO_SUMMER], [NO_SPRING].

5. Monsters can't dig. If you want something to spawn in a natural chasm use [BIOME_SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM].

Hope this helps!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:01:00 pm »

Does FEATUREATTACKGROUP (or whatever it is) work for external features?  If I add sea hags (using frogmen as a base) and set them to BIOME_ANY_OCEAN, will I get groups of sea hags assaulting my coastal forts the way ratmen, snakemen, et al do from cave features?

Your water creature idea (#1) inspired the question.

[ November 13, 2007: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

Thaaanks a lot :)

quote:

1. [AMPHIBIOUS] is the one you want. Just do a copy-paste for something like carp and add the amphibious tag and they'll hop around on shore. Then rename them something else and you have Elephants mark 2. You'll also want [LARGE_ROAMING] probably.

Is that the most agressive option, though? Will they attack as violently as, say, zombie carps?

quote:

2. A flying creature that's susceptible to.. drowning? Pretty sure that's not really possible. Just copy-paste the giant eagle, change their [DIURNAL] to [NOCTURNAL], and add something like [POPULATION_NUMBER:20:50], [CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:10], and [LOOSE_CLUSTERS]. Voila, terrifying flocks of renamed giant eagles.

Coolness. When I mentioned suspectability to drowning would be in case the critter would get lured into an underground room and flooded. I was hoping it's possible to replicate the water-vulnerability of fire-spirits somehow, because I heard people made flood-room traps for them.

quote:

3. Not possible. Fire breathing is hardcoded.

Is some sort of 'sweep' or 'cleave' attack option possible then? An attack that would attack more than one dwarf at a time.
Also, is it possible to make attacks completely disregard armour?

quote:

4. [NO_WINTER], [NO_SUMMER], [NO_SPRING].

Thanks, great.

quote:

5. Monsters can't dig. If you want something to spawn in a natural chasm use [BIOME_SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM].

Okay, good enough and thanks again!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 12:06:00 am »

LARGE_ROAMING is required to make a creature even wander onto the map.

If you want something to be hostile, add LARGE_PREDATOR.

CURIOUSBEAST may give it a tendency to wander into your fort.  CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER is guaranteed to cause raiding behavior (since items can often be found strewn about the landscape after sieges and such, but edible food is almost always in the fort).  I don't know how guzzling behavior will interact with predatory behavior.  "Nab some food then skedaddle" may happen instead of the desired "nab some food then kill some dwarves."

RE:  Spirits of Fire (the demon)
I don't know where you got the "water trap kills them" idea, but I suspect someone meant firemen (the magma creature).  Spirits of Fire are hot enough they'd probably turn the water to steam.

RE Cleave
No such ability at this time.  The coolest attacks you can give a creature are [WEBBER][THICKWEB][WEBIMMUNE], [FIREBREATH] ([FIREIMMUNE] optional?), and [DRAGONFIREBREATH][FIREIMMUNE_SUPER].  For an area attack, FIREBREATH is probably the best.  It adds long-range fireballs and short-range flame breath.  Neither will ignite flammables in my experience.  Dragon firebreath will set all kinds of things ablaze, though, which can be very bad (and results in such comedy as dragons killing themselves indirectly).

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

What if you also mod in the monster as a civ then designate a body part as the digging item????? maybe....
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 06:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by berent:
<STRONG>What if you also mod in the monster as a civ then designate a body part as the digging item????? maybe....</STRONG>

I assume it'd still be an AI issue. As far as I'm aware, no creature will ever attempt to dig on its own. Even dwarves need to have the digging spots designated.