Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: deblocker + uncutter mod  (Read 1189 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
deblocker + uncutter mod
« on: November 13, 2007, 05:15:00 am »

Ok first part of a mod I'm working on. This allows you to convert blocks made by a mason or imported, back into the raw stone/ore.

Until Toady adds the ability to trade for raw stone, this will enable forts with massive iron stocks but no flux to(slowly) create steel. Also useful to get the raw material for moods/mandates that are not available at your fortress.

This also allows for the more compact storage of stone by turning into blocks and storing in bins, then changing back as needed, rather than the use of a quantum stockpile.

deblocker v.1

Use: Must generate a new world after unzipping and placing in raw/objects/

Notes:

: Currently unsure of the effect on metal blocks created at a forge that share a name with one of their ores, eg gold, silver. I believe that the metal blocks will be ignored, but I'm not certain.
EDIT: confirmed to not be a problem.

: Even though the deblocking process requires no fuel, the smelter seems to require the presence on the map of at least one bar of charcoal/coke or be a magma smelter in order to function.

[ November 14, 2007: Message edited by: Metalax ]

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: deblocker + uncutter mod
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 07:31:00 pm »

What a brilliant idea, I've downloaded it and I'll try it out when I get some time.

I've always thought that blocks and raw stone should be interchangeable, and this is one step closer to making it that way.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

Why didn't we think of that?

Awesome idea.

Incidentally, you probably won't have to worry about the metal blocks.  Ores aren't named exactly the same as their metals.  For instance, "gold blocks" are much different than "native gold blocks".

[ November 13, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:18:00 pm »

It wasn't so much the displayed name for metal blocks as I already knew they were different. The question was whether the item tag would match up for both when selecting a block. Having done a trawl through the exe for possible tags I'm now confident that it won't.

code:

Blocks from a mason can be selected by
[REAGENT:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:GOLD]

While blocks from a forge are selected by
[REAGENT:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD]

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:20:00 pm »

Now we need reactions to uncut gems and separate alloys.  Then our non-renewable resource conservation tools will be complete.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 01:44:00 am »

And why not reactions to turn rock nuts into quary bush leaves and fish bones into skeletal carp, while we're at it?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 05:23:00 am »

And the next in the series is indeed a way to roughen cut gems

uncutter v.1

Use: Must generate a new world after unzipping and placing in raw/objects/

Note: This should work for normal cut gems, not the large gems produced occasionally. Does anyone know what the item tag for large gems is?

Edit: Oops made a slight mistake with this that made it nonfunctional. If you downloaded before you'll want to redownload.

[ November 14, 2007: Message edited by: Metalax ]

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 11:52:00 pm »

The "quarry bush -> leaves" reaction is actually a good idea if you find all your bags keep getting filled with one seed each.