Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immolation  (Read 926 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Immolation
« on: June 05, 2008, 07:28:00 am »

Another question, if I may be so bold.

I've been trying to get goblins to immolate themselves in a non-suicidal way. I.E: I want them to act like spirits of fire, except with goblin equipment. In other words, it would be nice if I could get goblins which not only had their weapons and armour, but also the ability to set anything they touch alight in flame, while not dying to the flame themselves.

I've been experimenting with this, but with no success.

1. Removed homeotherm and added fixed_temp:25000 = goblins burn and die the moment they spawn
2. Added homeotherm:25000 and fixed_temp:25000 = goblins violently explode into a million pieces (literally) without getting a chance to burn the moment they spawn
3. Removed all equipment from goblins and added fixed_temp:12000 = goblins burn and die the moment they spawn
4. Removed all internal organs, added [NOBREATHE], [NOBLEED], etc. and changed body to humanoid_simple with the above criteria one by one = the same thing, except they collapse before burning

I've basically changed everything other than their entity files to that of a magma man / fire man / spirit of fire but they still burn and die regardless if they're completely naked or completely lacking in organs and pain receptors.

So, any idea what's up?  Is there some hardcoding which prevents civilization creatures from being immolated?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Immolation
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 08:28:00 am »

Play with heatdamage point and ignite point tokens.
Note that creature may be really hightemp. resistant but the fire will still burn it. What is the fire? Right, it's something transforming to CO2 and stuff.

So set their heatdam_point and ignite_point more than their fixed_temp and homeotherm, and you're OK. I thought it's intuitive.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

I didn't even know what heatdam points or ignite points are or that they existed since all the magma and fire creatures don't have them save the strange ones on the fire imp...

So, why is it that all those other creatures can survive without those two extra tags?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:09:00 am »

Fire Imp:
   [HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
   [IGNITE_POINT:13500]
   [LEATHER_HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
   [LEATHER_IGNITE_POINT:13500]

Fire man:
[NOSKIN]
[FIXED_TEMP:10800]

I think it's the leather of your goblins which kills them while burning.

Anyway if you want them to stay alive, jsut specify high heatdam and ignite points for their materials and them persnally.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

Oooh, I see. So it's their skin that burns... thanks again.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 09:39:00 am »

It's STANDARD_FLESH, I found. Remove that.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:29:00 am »

Right, I've just tested that. Thanks.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

Also, isn't that almost 15000 degrees Fahrenheit?  The surface of the Sun is "only" about 10000 degrees Fahrenheit.  Those goblins should be turning the ground they stand on and the air they might be breathing to superheated plasma.  They're literally walking stars.  Seems like toning the temperature down a bit might be in order.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

It's the same heat as spirits of fire, and they're already in the game.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

I was actually curious if it was possible to make their "aura" hot enough to melt arrows before it reaches them. But I don't think that's possible.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LumenPlacidum:
<STRONG>Also, isn't that almost 15000 degrees Fahrenheit?  The surface of the Sun is "only" about 10000 degrees Fahrenheit.  Those goblins should be turning the ground they stand on and the air they might be breathing to superheated plasma.  They're literally walking stars.  Seems like toning the temperature down a bit might be in order.</STRONG>

No, there is a formula but I don't remember what it is (F - 1001 or something like that). Either way, yes it is REALLY REALLY hot and no it does not make sense. However, you can also have temperatures below absolute zero so it's all kind of messed up at this point.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>

No, there is a formula but I don't remember what it is (F - 1001 or something like that). Either way, yes it is REALLY REALLY hot and no it does not make sense. However, you can also have temperatures below absolute zero so it's all kind of messed up at this point.</STRONG>

They have different laws of thermodynamics.

A wizard did it.

Although you should keep a creature that burns itself out because while it's main body is like a star, it's skin is regular leather.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

Like a star? Why?
The scale is (Farenheit + 9668) or (Celsius*9/5 + 10000).

15000 DF = 2945 C = 5332 F

25000 DF = 15332 F = 8500 C

quote:
The surface of the Sun is "only" about 10000 degrees Fahrenheit

Temperature of surface (effective) = 5778 K = 5505 C = 9941 F = 19609 DF.

At the center of the Earth the temperature may be up to 7000 K .

So 25000 DF is too high. (By the way) Magmamen have 12000 DF = 2332 F = 1278 C

quote:
you can also have temperatures below absolute zero

Toady told us that this is made to allow creation of the "anti"physics bodies for creating superstrong magical artifacts. Thus this is reserved until magic arc.

quote:
It's the same heat as spirits of fire

I think Toady did it to reflect a super-heat demonic nature of them. However in real situation they'd be unkillable by dwarves. It shows only flaws in "physical" model of the game, nothing more. It's just a model and we want it to work realistically at the mediocre levels (like water freezing, room temperature and fire), and it's very often for models to work weird at extreme conditions. They just need more details and maybe a little different theory but it's not necessary because in our example we speak of exclusions and not rules.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬