Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: putting a cap on migration numbers  (Read 803 times)

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
putting a cap on migration numbers
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:52:15 am »

Is it at all possible to put a cap on the max number of dwarves that can come in each migration wave? Getting tired of having 19 new dwarves to feed evry season.
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
Re: putting a cap on migration numbers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:08:33 am »

I believe the only way to limit that in any way is to set the max population and children settings lower - As the sizes of each migration wave is hardcoded (and thus not possible to limit it to say 2-3 dwarves)

I wish it would though. It's annoying, when trying to build an initial village above ground to have a sudden wave of 20 something dwarves expecting to be fed and clothed. WE NEED ALIENAGES! xD
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:12:26 am »

yea, I guess Il have to go with that then, thanks anyways.
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 07:49:10 am »

IIRC, if your parent civ dies out, you'll only ever get two migration waves. You might want to try changing the raws to make your parent civ die out. Kobolds currently have a problem with dying super quick because they have [BONECARN], and thus starve. If you add [BONECARN] to the dwarves in creature_standard.txt  in the raws, gen the world, then take [BONECARN] out of dwarf entry the main raws and that region's saved raws, you've got a pretty good chance of winding up with a dead dwarven civ by year 4, and unless you've got alternate playable civs, you'll be able to embark as the lone dwarven settlement and get only two migrant waves and then be on your own. You can fiddle with how many sprogs lady dwarves drop at once and dwarven maturation rates if you find yourself needing a lot more of them somewhat quickly.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:31:38 am »

I'd love to have a new ethics tag:

[ETHIC:OVERPOPULATION:PUNISH_EXILE]

"Get outa my fort!!"
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 11:49:34 am »

IIRC, if your parent civ dies out, you'll only ever get two migration waves. You might want to try changing the raws to make your parent civ die out. Kobolds currently have a problem with dying super quick because they have [BONECARN], and thus starve. If you add [BONECARN] to the dwarves in creature_standard.txt  in the raws, gen the world, then take [BONECARN] out of dwarf entry the main raws and that region's saved raws, you've got a pretty good chance of winding up with a dead dwarven civ by year 4, and unless you've got alternate playable civs, you'll be able to embark as the lone dwarven settlement and get only two migrant waves and then be on your own. You can fiddle with how many sprogs lady dwarves drop at once and dwarven maturation rates if you find yourself needing a lot more of them somewhat quickly.
It is easier to set pop cap to 0

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 12:04:59 pm »

Kobolds don't die because of [BONECARN]

They die because they live in the CAVE type sites, and that does not allow any kind of farming.  [BONECARN] makes them happy when eating bones, but no farming means no animals means death.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 12:10:55 pm »

Actually, they do die because of BONECARN. Goblins, with their NO_EAT removed, die as well.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 12:14:15 pm »

I actually tested adding [BONECARN] to dwarves for a civless worldgen before I posted and it does work, a whole lot of dwarven civs dying out in year four. The wiki says that [BONECARN] implies [CARNIVORE], so farming would be useless.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 12:41:07 pm »

Hmm... strange.  I've had Kobolds surviving with it on, but living in Cities.  Maybe cities imply that they can get animals, therefore food.

Then again, in order to get them to really survive in any large numbers, I've had to resort to the Goblin Diet.