Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Mode Bows  (Read 759 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Mode Bows
« on: May 31, 2008, 01:50:00 am »

I can't seem to mod a race in to use bows in single fortress mode; anything other then the default Dwarven Options don't even show up under the military list. For example, I've been experimenting a /lot/ with elves, and no matter what I do, Bows won't show up on the military list, though I can use them under Adventurer. Selecting crossbows results in nothing happening (of course, since they can't use crossbows)

Anyone have any solutions, or am I doomed to have non-playable elves?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Mode Bows
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 01:57:00 am »

Look at the Martial Arts mod. Elves there have special "Viyerami" bows that are using the crossbow skill. Currently, weapons that use the bow/pike/whip/knife skills are unavailable for fort mode use, although they still work nicely in traps.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 02:07:00 am »

Long story short, simply rename 'Crossbows' to 'Bows', 'Crossbowelves' to 'Bowelves', and 'Bolts' to 'Elven Arrows' or some such. There's no way to get them to use actual Bows in Fort Mode, but there's nothing stopping you renaming crossbows, their ammo, and their users to suit your needs.

Poke around under item_weapon.txt and item_ammo.txt and you'll see what I mean.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 07:03:00 am »

You'll have two bowmen types in adventure mode though. Or you'll have to do something more weird, because then other races would have to use crossbow skills for bows.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India