Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shell fabrication.  (Read 1414 times)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Shell fabrication.
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

So, my fort's in a place with no shells at all. And every single mood demands shells. Eventualy, I got sick of this, and reasoned that stone could work just as well. So I dug around a bit and came up with...

[REACTION:TO_HELL_WITH_SHELLS]
[NAME:fabricate shells]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SHELL:NO_SUBTYPE:SHELL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[FUEL]

The only side effect here is that you'll end up with funny names, like 'mule shell'. This seems to betray a relation between mineral type used to create the shell, and animal the shell claims to come from, but I'm not sure. Hopefuly this will come in handy for the next person stuck with this problem.

Skullivan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Shell fabrication.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 12:02:00 am »

I lol'd at the reaction name. Good idea, I friggin hate shell moods.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

TO_HELL_WITH_SHELL_MOODS
seems a bit more precise.  But, I like the idea.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Doniazade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »

Would be a lot fairer to have it use up bone, to be honest. That way you're actually sacrificing something instead of just vacuuming up rock.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:53:00 am »

You don't have any water on your map? At all? What do you do when your dwarves get injured?

If you have any source of water, even a tiny pond, you can fish up turtles and get shells. Hell, right now I'm running a kobold fort that lives off fish from the aquifer. We never run OUT of turtles, I have such a surplus I've gotten to using shells to decorate goods (although I'm planning to stop soon) >.>.

Just make sure that you don't cook turtles and cave lobsters and have a refuse pile for shells set up. Shells and bones have a tendancy to dissappear (or in the case of [BONECARN] creatures, end up on the dinner plate) if not put into a refuse stockpile.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 03:00:00 am »

Aw, who cares. I for one can understand his sentiment. Some of us who have played to game for far too long no longer care about fulfilling moods and all that so this works out great.

And besides, if you're going to cheat, you should go all the way. That's the real spirit!

kamikazemoose

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 09:11:00 am »

Don't forget the caravan can bring you turtles and cave lobsters, And they're pretty cheap too. Also I always bring large amounts of turtles with me on embark.

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: kamikazemoose ]