Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: setting lumberjacks tool.  (Read 1216 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
setting lumberjacks tool.
« on: May 10, 2008, 02:16:00 am »

Ok I know you can set what item a civ will use for mining with the digger tag, but is there any similar way for setting what will be used by lumberjacks? Will they use any axe skill based weapon that the lumberjack can wield(via size and allowed for the entity), or is it hardcoded for battleaxes?

I'd like to be able to set it up so that lumberjacks use hatchets, while battleaxes are reserved for use by the military.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
Re: setting lumberjacks tool.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:41:00 am »

I have a race that uses great axes for woodcutting, instead of the battleaxes, but this seems to be due to the fact that the great axes are a better weapon, and therefore cut better. You could try it, but the solution I see for it is kinda lame.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 02:55:00 am »

The embark screen will grab the most powerful weapon made from the best accessible metal for every weapon type aside from crossbows and picks.  I seriously doubt that weapon damage has anything to do with treecutting.

As for what picks a weapon for use as a woodcutting tool, it's the [SKILL:AXE] tag in that weapon's profile.  It's a programming shortcut and can be a modding hindrance at times, but it'll -probably get opened up whenever Toady feels like tweaking the really minor stuff, and removing save compatibility at the same time.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 02:56:00 am »

SKILL:AXE is what determines that currently. Any weapon that uses the axe skill can be used to cut trees. If you asked me, "any weapon that does slashing damage" would work better...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 03:38:00 am »

I really miss this tag.
Every time when you create a powerful metal avaliable for races, like mithril, f it's not DEEP you end up with mithril-axes-wielding lumberjacks and a great loss of starting points for treecutting only.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 04:34:00 pm »

That's why you make mithril an alloyable metal with steel. Make mithril-steel alloy a [DEEP] metal and pure mithril a non-weapon usable soft metal. The mithril alloyed with the steel makes it incredibly light and perhaps slightly stronger.

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

Great loss of starting points? I don't get it. Unless you need more than 2 axes, it nets you more, esp. if you switch to lower-grade metal axes. (This option may be a side-effect of one of my new race's attributes in the ENTITY file, I dunno.)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

Dorfs use the best metal for melee weapons.
As I said just the [DEEP] saves the day.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository