Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new here blah blah question about temperature.  (Read 1447 times)

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
new here blah blah question about temperature.
« on: May 05, 2008, 02:14:00 am »

Alright, i'm messing with some creature stuff here, mostly just for future reasons...
And i've figured out how to make my race, and anything on the same screen as the player burst into flames.
However, even with fire immunity and heat resistance cranked up past godly, my guy still burns to death.
How?
He's not choking, because he doesn't need to breathe plus the text reads "YOU ARE INCINERATED"
How do i stop this?

Also;
Is it possible to make a creature generate a negative temperature? I'm working on a race of leech people (not leechmans, different) and I think it'd be nifty if the area around them got colder, perhaps even freezing any water they walk on.
Input?
[FIREIMMUNE]
[FIREIMMUNE_SUPER]
[HEATDAM_POINT:3000000] [IGNITE_POINT:3000000] [LEATHER_HEATDAM_POINT:300000] [LEATHER_IGNITE_POINT:3000000]

[BONE_HEATDAM_POINT:3000000]
   [GRASSTRAMPLE:3]
       [FIXED_TEMP:100] < not sure what value = fireball of death and what not...
But apparently even 1 will kill your man / woman or whatever

nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: new here blah blah question about temperature.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 02:24:00 am »

A note about temperature:  Every temperature setting (includes HEATDAM, FIXED_TEMP, IGNITE yadda yadda) uses the same value system.  That is, Fahrenheit +9968.  This would make the freezing point of water (32 degrees Fahrenheit) 10000 degrees Dwarficus.

Check your creature to make sure it/he/she doesn't have the tag [STANDARD_FLESH].  That tag contains a package of "default" temperature values, and can overwrite some other customized temperature values that you've put in.  FIXED_TEMP causes the creature to generate an aura of that temperature at all times.  This not only affects the surrounding area, but it also makes the creature effectively immune to climate change, since it's always sitting in its own aura.

Make sure you don't go swimming with an aura below water's freezing point.  You'll encase yourself in a block of ice and die instantly.  Hot temperatures will just turn it to steam.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

FIXED_TEMP = temperature, generated by creature.
FIXED_TEMP 100 means that the creature has -9568 Farenheit body temperature (it's about -18000 C). I doubt it treats the way it should be, as soon as avsolute zero is -273C.

Also be sure you have no clothes on. They may burn you.

[ May 05, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

Kay thanks, currently waiting for an ocean to evaporate so I can find some whales.
It's been my mission to kill a whale, etc
So there's no way I could make it so that everything around my character became slightly chilled?
I think it'd be amazing to have a race that would walk on the thin ice layer it generates over water.
However, that's currently impossible I assume, as everything just becomes encased in ice.
Also, would that make it so that rain would turn to snow around my character?
Hmmm...
Can you make some sort of attack that has "burst" radius, making a sphere of intense cold in a 5x5 area around the creature?
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 01:43:00 am »

quote:
So there's no way I could make it so that everything around my character became slightly chilled?

[HOMEOTHERM:9727]
[FIXED_TEMP:9727]
[COLDDAM_POINT:9000]

will make your creature with a body with the absolute zero temp and it won't damage it =).

If you want faster reaction on your appearance, you can lower these values (though it will be unrealistic), just make sure your colddam_point is less than fixed_temp and homeotherm.

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 02:59:00 am »

With fixed_temp there's hardly a point in homeotherm. Colddam_point and heatdam_point can be useful though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

Thank you sir, but..
It still encases me in ice and kills me.
So i assume there's no way to make it so that when I, the humble player, send myself vaulting over a ledge into the waters below, that it'd freeze into ice before i touched it, so that I could walk instead of become incased in?
If not, that's fine and all, i'd like to learn about other things I could do instead.
nobody of great interest

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

It might be possible to freeze the water below you if you fly above it.  But otherwise, no.