Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf and Elf Sieging. Human trading  (Read 1925 times)

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf and Elf Sieging. Human trading
« on: May 22, 2008, 12:52:00 am »

Ok so I want to make a new civ controllable entity that dwarves and elves will siege but humans will just trade with.  How would I do this?  Also when I checked the raw folder and went to the Entity_default file I found this starting from the top of the file to the bottom.
entity_default

[OBJECT:ENTITY]

[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
   [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]
   [CREATURE :DWARF]
What does the [OBJECT:ENTITY] do?
What does the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] do?
Any help will be appreciated.

[ May 22, 2008: Message edited by: Ghostpaw ]

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf and Elf Sieging. Human trading
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 01:10:00 am »

[OBJECT:ENTITY] is the 'descriptor' that tells DF what the content of the file is, in this case, information about entities. DF expects at least one race for every 'entity' - so there must be an Evil race, a Mountain race, a Forest race, etc, for all the entities you see in there.

Adding the [SIEGER] tag to any race will cause them to siege you if they're angry enough (and they can start off that way by using the [ENTITY_GROUPING:EVIL] if you're a good race, for example). And I think using [ACTIVE_SEASON:season] will determine when traders from that race will visit you.

Awaiting someone to swoop through and contradict me   ;)

[ May 22, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:17:00 am »

ENTITY:MOUNTAIN is ust the name of your entity type.
I.e. t can be entity:dorfs, entity:lizardfolk or entity:blablabla, it's just an id or your type of race.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

ACTIVE_SEASON also affects when an entity will attack, in addition to when it'll trade.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:00:00 am »

I once saw a post that said that there can never be more then 4 civilizations and 1 kobold-like one, no matter what was used.  Is that true, or by doing this and defining more entities, can one put many more races in with many traits?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 09:05:00 am »

Depending on what is meant by that. You can have many civilizations. But you're unlikely to ever come in contact with more than 4 (+nuisance) in fort mode. If you play a GOOD civilization (that is, comprized of GOOD creatures), you may have 5 major civs - yours, three neutrals, and one evil. There will ALWAYS be only one evil civ beside yours. If you play an evil civ, it's likely you'll only get evil civs as neighbors - and that means only one civ, though I haven't checked, I have only two evil civs.

That, and there seem to be obscure problems with adding a lot of stuff to the game in general. I get random crashes galore.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

Eh?  I don't think it's the GOOD tag on a creature that does that.  I'm not really sure what allows the extra neutral neighbor.

I tried duplicating the dwarf civ to no effect.  I tried using a duplicate dwarf creature in said civ to no effect.  But a playable duplicate human civ got an extra neighbor (namely dwarves).

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 10:27:00 pm »

Interesting.  So I can make another civilization along with dwarves under the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] tag?
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 06:38:00 am »

The ENTITY:whatever tags need to be unique. You can copy dwarves, just call them ENTITY:MOUNTAIN2 or something.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 07:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fleeb:
<STRONG>The ENTITY:whatever tags need to be unique. You can copy dwarves, just call them ENTITY:MOUNTAIN2 or something.</STRONG>

Thanks for the clear and confident explanation.  The others were confusing me.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 08:06:00 am »

I thought that DF packed a spaz if there wasn't a ENTITY:FOREST or :MOUNTAIN or whatever - any of the original entities. Or am I mistaken and it only packs a spaz if said entities don't have the expected BIOMES chosen (as in, DF needs a Forest-based race, a Mountain-based race, etc...)

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

quote:
packs a spaz if said entities don't have the expected BIOMES chosen (as in, DF needs a Forest-based race, a Mountain-based race, etc...)

This one.

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

Ah, my suspicions confirmed. Thanks muchly.