Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mode Switch Failed  (Read 1287 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mode Switch Failed
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

Does anyone know what the error "Mode Switch Failed: Switching to Window" upon the start of dwarf fortress means?

When I try to play with the 640x300ez_38c3 version, I get that. With almost all other graphical packs (except the non-graphics standard version) I get this horrible little thing that covers the upper 1/4 of my screen.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Mode Switch Failed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

Yer trying to play a fullscreen resolution that your videocard or monitor can't display. My 14" widescreen can handle 1280x400 (16x16) sets, while smaller ones might not be able to.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:53:00 am »

Greetings!

I encountered the same problem. Basically, you can run DF in any size in WINDOWED mode, but it's restricted in FULL-SCREEN mode to standard display resolutions, ie the ones your graphics card understands. SO, you can do 1024x768, for example, but not 1000x750 (which should have about the same aspect ratio), because your graphics card doesn't have that "mode" in its list. Personally, I've never found any meaningful reason not to use windowed mode, so I can make the display whatever size I like.

Also, though you may already know, you can adjust the display size however you like, but the DF screen won't show any MORE or LESS data. The number of horizontal and vertical characters displayed is fixed...at least until the interface arc, which may be a while.

Rochndil, who has the same number of display lines as EVERYBODY else...

Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:56:00 am »

I prefer windowed mode because this way I can chat and read RSS while playing DF.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 01:03:00 am »

Ah, thanks guys!