Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Restacking Bolts  (Read 2128 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Restacking Bolts
« on: May 19, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »

I was just wondering how some people complain about how they have all of these worthless single bolts lying around with no way to restack them. I was thinking that couldn't you create a reaction that used 10 bone bolts or whatever you wanted to stack and then created 10 bone bolts. This would only work for one specific item, but wouldn't it then cause those items to become a single usable stack?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Restacking Bolts
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »

It might.  It also might take 10 stacks of perfectly usable bolts, and then make a stack of 10 bolts with them.  It also might not make usable bolts.  I don't know why it might not, but I don't know that anyone's done it.

Personally, I just make more.  There's always more creatures that need slaughtering in my fortresses.  And with war bolts, you can melt them down to make more!

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

Also, there would be issues with quality. As in: the products would always be normal quality.

(This in addition to the issues Lyrax points out.)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

Wait, what actually happens if you melt bolts?

I have tried melting, and besides the pain in the ass hassle of the designating, I don't remember ever seeing a bar being made from them. Or maybe I am just too impatient to wait for 25 individual bolts to be melted all at one specific furnace, and then make sure I check if that produces a metal bar.

I demand a metal bolt re-stacking feature   :mad:

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

The melting quantity "collects" at the smelter and finally gives you 1 bar.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

To expand on that, each smelter keeps a tally, so if you assign two or more smelter to melt items, they will each keep a separate bar tally.

Meaning, use a single smelter to melt all items.  :)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

Also, any excess that is left over when the smelter is destroyed is lost.  So if you melt 1.9 bars' worth at a smelter, you'll get 1 bar out of the deal, with 0.9 towards the next.  If you destroy the smelter before finishing off that last bar, the 0.9 bars' worth are lost.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 09:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>Also, any excess that is left over when the smelter is destroyed is lost.  So if you melt 1.9 bars' worth at a smelter, you'll get 1 bar out of the deal, with 0.9 towards the next.  If you destroy the smelter before finishing off that last bar, the 0.9 bars' worth are lost.</STRONG>

Is that true if I smelt 1.9 bars worth of iron then start smelting steel? or will it remember the amount of iron as well and so if i switch back it'll be okay.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

Fractions of bars of metal are stored in individual smelters. Note that this is storage, not tasking.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown