Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too much coverage?  (Read 1035 times)

BunnyMaster42

• Bay Watcher
  • Huggbees.
    • View Profile
Too much coverage?
« on: December 15, 2009, 09:24:50 am »

Ok, so I recently tried to make some armor with insanely high coverage to help protect my soldiers from the elements in the freezing evil tundra I'm now in, and it seems to have backfired a bit. I got seiged twice in a row, and durring the second seige I noticed that the dwarf wearing the armor was bleeding profusely from his head for no reason. I tried healing and rezing him multiple times with dwarf companion but he just kept dieing over and over and over...

He was wearing these two pieces of armor (the values are a bit insane, I know):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, my question is, would too much coverage cause heat damage? It almost seems like it does, but I haven't been able to find enough on coverage to be sure.

EDIT: Ok, now I feel like an idiot, it was a snowstorm damaging his head (and only his head), so the coverage must be working to a certain extent. That'll teach me to post before risking dwarven lives for SCIENCE!. This bring up another question, given he's weaing a helmet with a high coverage, why is my dwarf's skull still getting frozen out there?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:05:40 am by BunnyMaster42 »

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too much coverage?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 12:58:33 pm »

Just a thought, but that helm has 10x the coverage of the plate, so it might have overflowed into a really low value or something. I really have no experience modding though, so I hope that helps.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 01:35:55 pm »

What qwert said. I remember reading about someone who gave something too high a mod-value, which ended up giving it negative value, so this could be the same thing.

Majorlag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 02:48:07 pm »

If thats the case, and 10,000 is fine but 100,000 is not, then that suggests the value is being stored as a 16-bit signed integer. If that is the case, then keeping your values below 32767 should work.
The True Adventures of ___________

Insight into the minds of Dwarf Fortress Players - Random Quote of the Month:
He once spent a week visiting a cave in which there lived seven giants.  Each day, he would come in, track down each of the giants, and beat it to the point of unconsciousness.

BunnyMaster42

• Bay Watcher
  • Huggbees.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:03:57 pm »

Ah thanks, I sort of thought it might've been too high (I have plenty of experience with overflows incedently). I totally missed the extra zero on the helm though, thanks for pointing that out. Now for some hopefully dwarf friendly tests, then for some not so dwarf-friendly ones (magma swiming anyone?).