Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Supermetal Mod  (Read 1388 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Supermetal Mod
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »

I've been thinking of a mod that changes the availability of metal and remove wood requirements from smelting, and to balance this, make most ores have only around 50-80% efficiency. The end effect is that instead of living in underground fortresses, dwarves will probably build fortresses out of metal, above the ground while using underground digging exclusively for mining. What kinds of changes do I have to make to cause all of the metals to be much more densely generated? What else would go well with this mod?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Supermetal Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

This would greatly change the dynamics of smelting and smithing, though.  While in a fort without fuel (in this case wood) a fort must rely on other things or outside sources, this would allow all forts to be able to smelt equally.  Also, a metal like adamantium which is in limited supply always, is not something you want to lose a single bar of, but would leave a fort with less overall because the rates of occurence, I am pretty sure, aren;t easily modifiable...

And... I don't know that one can make things be created more densely.  You can make the occurences larger, though.  Change in the matgloss_stone_mineral (where the ores are) the specific environment in which it is generated.
For example:
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SANDSTONE:VEIN:100]
changes to
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SANDSTONE:CLUSTER:100]

An example of a vein in the current way is something like the normal metals, like a copper vein, gold vein, and such.  Things that spawn in clusters are, as an example, Magnetite, Olivine, and Microcline...  Other options are CLUSTER_SMALL which is the size of a normal gem cluster, and CLUSTER_ONE which is an individual crystal.  I don't think there's any others, or at least I haven't seen them, though it would be cool if there were.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

Hmm... would having several "vein" entries cause multiplication, i.e., would taking the hematite line and copying it five times over cause five times as many veins to appear? The large clusters might be a little too much. I'm pretty sure that I can change the ammount of metal from ore on a per-metal basis, so I can leave Adam. alone. Thanks for that input!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 06:54:00 pm »

While that might increase the chance that a hematite vein appears instead of some other ore vein (or cluster?), it shouldn't change the number of veins and such that appear on the map.  AFAIK, anyway.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »

You could turn a stone layer into a metal ore, and then have rarer metals appear inside that layer in veins or clusters as you see fit.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 12:52:00 am »

Perhaps, I could make a stone layer that can then be processed into, say, 20% of an ore without fuel, and then require fuel to process that ore into usable metal.
I might try  making coal/lignite a layer too.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 01:58:00 am »

Heh heh heh...  Give it the [LAVA] tag.  That'll be fun.

EDIT:  Hoo, just thought of something.  If there was a magma pocket that was lined with lignite, and was in a layer of lignite, you may find one hell of a cavern underground once the smoke clears.

That actually sounds quite awesome.  I feel inclined to do just that.  Does anyone know if lignite actually explodes, or does it just burn?  You might be able to set up some really cool siege defenses if it explodes.  I've got an idea...

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »

quote:
That actually sounds quite awesome. I feel inclined to do just that. Does anyone know if lignite actually explodes, or does it just burn? You might be able to set up some really cool siege defenses if it explodes. I've got an idea...

you have to feel sorry for those goblins   :D