Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Symbolic graphics tileset idea  (Read 5373 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Symbolic graphics tileset idea
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

It would be nice to have a "graphic" object tileset, but that's still made of symbols, only more varied than the current letter selection. A good example would be the Abigaba/Chozo tileset for Nethack: http://www.multifoliate.com/nh/ (Edit: embedded a modified version of it below).

I like having letters or symbols instead of little pictures, because I find the former easier and less eye-straining to identify than the latter, given how small the tiles are. There's also an aesthetic and cleanliness that I like about abstract graphics. However, I get annoyed at how several creatures share the same letter: for instance, given the frequent goblin ambushes, I find it disquieting to see 'g's approaching my woodcutter, until I realise that they are really groundhogs and not crossbow goblins. This would be much alleviated if the 'g's for the goblins and groundhogs were of a different font style, and maybe with some subtle decorations, (see the Abigaba tileset).

This could also be a solution to prolong the usability of the current graphics style. Toady was mentioning in the last interview (on gamasutra) that the letter E is kind of over-used; I think different object tiles with the same letter in different font styles would go a long way to alleviate that.

So, unless #1 himself picks up the idea, who's up for making this new tileset   :) ?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:39:54 pm by isitanos »

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Symbolic graphics tileset idea
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »

Nobody's interested? Hmmm... too bad. Hopefully I'll get some time to make one myself then.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:50:00 am »

I'm interested! Those Abigaba graphics are breathtakingly awesome, and I much prefer very well done symbols over extremely crunched sprites.

Edit: That being said I'm not an artist, but you have my full support.

[ March 09, 2008: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 01:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>I'm interested! Those Abigaba graphics are breathtakingly awesome, and I much prefer very well done symbols over extremely crunched sprites.

Edit: That being said I'm not an artist, but you have my full support.

[ March 09, 2008: Message edited by: Keiseth ]</STRONG>

Aren't they nice! But, I have the same artistic problem as you. I'm left wondering which program he used to create, for instance, the little light effects. Some tiles such as the weapons and armor could probably be used almost as is, though.

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 02:36:00 am »

There are problems with this of course. An example is the fact that bridges use the same tiles as smoothed walls. Or that a single 1x1 bridge pointing north... or the fact that the period is used for the ground and sentences, or that turtles and raw gems are the same... I could go on, but the best thing to do is do what you can, then wait for Toady to make every bloody thing into graphical tiles separate from the font of the game. Then the Artsy fartsy types can go bananas and put extra lens flare on everything   :p

Patience gentleman, good things come to those that wait.

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 02:37:00 am »

Addendum, check the wiki for "Graphical Tilesets" as what is available has been done already.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 04:26:00 am »

The idea might work, as long as you understand you can only do it for the Creature Sprites and the Civ sprites.   You could probably pull it off.   That way you can get a E with a small flare or something to represent an elf (And then the different colors to show the jobs) And a grey E with an extended middle to be an elephant.  I think that is with in the realm of possibility.

mausmausmausmaus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://mausmausmausmaus.com
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 08:16:00 pm »

Ha, the guy who made the chozo tileset is my roommate. I think the style would work very well for DF, especially since the game features many undifferentiated character-letters. I told him about this post and he said "I guess I'm going to have to start playing a shitload of dwarf fortress"

As for what he used to make this, I believe he did it in Photoshop 8.

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:07:00 am »

this has been talked about i think several times... yes this would be a good undertaking good luck and you got my support ^_^
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.