Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: turn off emotions?  (Read 1612 times)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
turn off emotions?
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:32:00 pm »

I don't know much about modding so I'm not sure this is even possible, but is there anything I can do to make my dwarves act more like dwarves and less like weepy emotionally unstable lunatics? We just scattered the goblins and instead of celebrating their victory and toasting their stouthearted friends who died gloriously in battle everyone is starting to tantrum and send yet another fortress into the destruction spiral. I'm sure this has happened to everyone, but I for one would like to enjoy bloody sieges without afterwards wishing I'd wussed out and just used traps instead...  

I'm hoping there's a tag or something I can add to keep them from going berserk because they sprained their wrist or smelled a bad smell or some guy their ex-girlfriend's uncle's cousin kind of sort of knew ran out into a hail of arrows and got turned into a pincushion.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: turn off emotions?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

You would have to add the [NOEMOTION] tag to Dwarves I guess, but ive never tried it.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 11:07:00 pm »

I think [NOTHOUGHT] will better accomplish what Solara wants.  It eliminates all those thoughts like "so and so admired a fine cabinet lately" or "so and so lost a friend to tragedy recently."  Your dwarves will be neither happy nor sad, and will never tantrum.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »

It's NOEMOTION.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

But I still want them to enjoy their fine cabinets.  :(

Oh well, thanks guys, I'll give the NOEMOTION thing a try in a new fortress even if it does make me feel like a horrible cheater. It's too bad there's no way to just sort of tone down the effects of bad thoughts without resorting to turning them off entirely...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

There is though - a giant engraved dining room + nice bedrooms for every dwarf + a skilled cook/brewer to make happy though creating meals = dwarves will be ecstatic even while the fortress falls apart around them.

Also appoint a captain of the guard - being released from jail gives a massive +1000 happy thought, which is enough to make any dwarf ecstatic no matter what so even if they tantrum and kick a puppy they will be fine after they get out of jail.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:10:00 am »

Is your dining room royal? Seriously, a Royal quality dining room is ridiculously easy to do (Big room of normal rock. Smooth. Pack with a ton of chairs + tables. Royal, almost no effort.) and will almost totally prevent tantrums.