Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves trying to gaslight me ?  (Read 119 times)

Worlder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves trying to gaslight me ?
« on: Today at 04:39:28 am »

Hello,

I'm not very experienced with the game and I ran into something confusing. Why don't the elves want to accept this honest trade ?
I read online that they won't buy some stuff like animal products and such but I also read that gems and stones are okay, and even that it is a "safe bet" with them, since they should not get angry when proceeding with such a trade.

Thank you for any feedback !

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves trying to gaslight me ?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:53:57 am »

He wants more profit. You’re trying to give him less than 25% profit. Maybe up it to at least 50%. It should make him really happy if you give him 100% profit.

Edit: wiki says they start out wanting about 100% profit: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Trading#Merchant_mood
« Last Edit: Today at 04:56:06 am by jecowa »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:26:33 am »

The elves think they deserve more profit than the 392 that you are generously giving them.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:23:07 am »

Those cabochons aren't worth as much as your broker thinks they are (note the "~" in front of the value) - cut gems have a base value of 20 and green jade has a material value of 20, so they're really only worth 400☼. Knowing that, it's no surprise the merchants are unhappy with what you're offering.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Worlder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:12:36 pm »

Thank you for your answers, I did not know the estimated values were so rough. Indeed, it is no surprise they are unhappy with my trade, ahah