Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure plate activating at 0 depth?  (Read 302 times)

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
Pressure plate activating at 0 depth?
« on: September 17, 2024, 05:10:34 am »

I must admit, in all the years I've played DF I don't really use pressure plates much. Is it not possible to make a pressure plate send an open signal that includes 0 depth? The game can only lets you select a range between 1—7 which excludes the possibility of activating at 0 depth.

I already found a workaround* for what I wanted to do, but I just wanted to confirm that I haven't missed any obscure method of setting it to 0.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure plate activating at 0 depth?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2024, 08:29:17 am »

Interesting.  The wiki seems to indicate you should be able to set it for 0 depth…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2024, 01:01:01 pm »

I just checked versions 0.47.05 and 0.28.181.40d, and while the Pressure Plate interface defaulted to "1 to 7", you could freely reduce it to "0 to 7" (or even "0 to 0"). I guess Toady forgot that setting the thresholds to 0 was actually possible and didn't allow for it in the Premium UI.

Edit: https://dwarffortressbugtracker.com/view.php?id=12972
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 01:05:27 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2024, 03:00:04 pm »

I just checked versions 0.47.05 and 0.28.181.40d, and while the Pressure Plate interface defaulted to "1 to 7", you could freely reduce it to "0 to 7" (or even "0 to 0"). I guess Toady forgot that setting the thresholds to 0 was actually possible and didn't allow for it in the Premium UI.

thanks for the bug submission, and nice callout OP!

I, too, find very few uses for pressure plates. I'm curious what function your plate mechanism was supporting?

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2024, 06:33:02 pm »

Thanks for checking it out for us!

thanks for the bug submission, and nice callout OP!

I, too, find very few uses for pressure plates. I'm curious what function your plate mechanism was supporting?

Nothing fancy, I just wanted it to keep a floodgate open whenever the system is running empty. It still works at 1 depth but the 0 depth was meant to keep the gates open to start things off. The non-DFHack workaround would just require adding a lever to open it manually or dumping a bucket of water over the pressure plate.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯