Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711]

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1327955 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10650 on: August 20, 2024, 05:48:17 am »

My first ever pebball-oriented run. Picked the sling as my starting artifact, so I decided to roll with it. I actively chose to fight as many elites as possible to get those sweet artifacts - got piercing attacks, damage from money pegs, one hit bombs, all my favorites. Ended up killing the final boss with two pebballs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10651 on: August 23, 2024, 04:53:27 pm »

About 10 Yttakin dropped in on my kitchen. Normally this would present an issue, however two factors were in my favour:

1) There was only one entrance/exit
2) My persona monosword wielding brawler was next door

I set the door to stay open, and waited. As expected, the Yttakin made a mad dash to the open door hoping to get access to my colony, only to find themselves losing limb and organ to a maniac with a monomolecular blade. In less than half a minute they went from trashing my kitchen to desperately trying to flee out of the kitchen/freezer/rec room-dining room complex, dying in droves to the machine gunners as they made it past the brawler.

Total losses: A bit of blood, some work hours cleaning the bloody mess

Rimworld
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10652 on: August 24, 2024, 09:06:23 pm »

Beat my best time on a hell board by like 5 minutes, holy hell. Been playing a 0 mistake board to completion one or twice a day for the last bit, had gotten where I'm fairly consistently finishing around the 900-1000 second mark (i.e. about 15 minutes). Tonight? After a reset from a particularly nasty board, I knocked out the full thing in 665 (... specifically, 665.47, which I just noticed rounds up to 666 >_>).

Spoiler: game (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10653 on: August 26, 2024, 08:51:58 am »

My last attempt at this map was a year ago, minus three days, according to the death thread.

This time, I remembered to put several Swarmers, Cyclones, and a Meltdown along the path to my main power center, as well as multiple turret lines on the way to my core. The latter wasn't necessary, thankfully.

The boss first tried to charge directly at the power center, first getting broadsided by my main gun-wall. Possibly realizing that wouldn't work, it tried to slip in between, though that was an absolutely awful idea as it got pounded by both sets of defense.

Unfortunately, it did crash down close enough to the power center that it triggered a colossal chain reaction, detonating 16 thorium reactors, but that was actually the "only" damage.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10654 on: August 27, 2024, 09:28:49 pm »

Downloaded GoG, saw Caves of Qud had removed the deathlands for content, and started playing.

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10655 on: September 01, 2024, 02:30:57 am »

(Somewhat accidentally) survived to minute 31 on the Mad Forest map with Poe.

I was basically experimenting with evolutions to see what actually worked, and ended up with maxed out clock lancet and laurel, unevolved.

This allowed me to

For what the game is, just running around trying not to die, there’s quite a lot of depth to it, and I’m really enjoying it. Well worth the $5 spent on it, and I may even indulge in the DLC!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2024, 02:34:08 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10656 on: September 04, 2024, 04:53:30 pm »

... sudoku playing has extended to random websites. Still wouldn't consider myself anything approaching good at it, but it's remarkably easy to while a day away trying to work through these things.

Managed a win -- not without mistakes, not without hints, but a win at all -- on an extreme killer sudoku variant (which adds addition to the mix! It's sorta' helpful but that also means the higher difficulty has actual numbers already placed, so...), which start out looking like this:

It's slightly less intimidating than it looks 'cause the single square ones are guaranteed numbers that just haven't been filled in yet, but... still. There's something deeply amusing about a puzzle game about arranging lines of 1-9 giving you a starting board that's just. Yep. Nothing there. Have fun :V

not actually sure what the website's called and I'm too lazy to check but random websearch will pull up several sudoku websites and i'm not sure it actually matters that much which one you use, so, uh
Ask not!
Ask!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10657 on: September 07, 2024, 09:23:28 am »

Sudoku variants like that became a gateway for me to kakuro, which are basically number addition crosswords.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10658 on: September 07, 2024, 11:04:19 am »

Might look into that, but math is, like... I've been doing the killer variant, but for anything adding more than two numbers I'm basically breaking out a spreadsheet. I'm an accounting person, not a math person, and there very much can be a difference :V

Any case, it's meta as hell, and probably jank on some level, but I'm counting it as an own and a half 'cause I couldn't find anything that did it for me: I've made a simple autohotkey script that autofills a keyboard input compatible standard sudoku board with basic 1-9 notes in all cells. Basically prepping an empty-ish board for you to do stuff to.

It's really basic, and from what I've seen a friggin' premium feature in a number of sudoku websites/apps, but it's a tre-goddamn-mendous time saver if you're doing sudoku boards at high difficulty and whatever venue you're using doesn't include the functionality.

Spoiler: hotkey is j (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
Ask!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10659 on: September 19, 2024, 05:33:37 am »

Playing as Thorek Ironbrow, early game is a series of fires you have to jump between and put out otherwise you get rolled. From Mannfred to Khalida being utter bastards and kicking you in the shins the second you stop looking their way. I stabilize after a bit when a random NPC beastman army decides to declare war on me and nukes one of my minor settlements before going dark. I walk my decently sized if a bit damaged Thorek army right into the ambush that I know is being prepared next to said settlement.

Now, however much they want to say they improved the AI, it's still very very dumb even on Hard. See, in ambushes the attacking army gets to deploy anywhere around the army that got caught, which has no choice of deployment and is instead caught in a long line, completely unprepared. So the most obvious tactic is to hit it in a pincer attack and get rid of any ranged firepower it might have. What the AI did however was a very long distance deployment offset to the front sides, which gave me a good 30 seconds to get some semblance of order in time, with a few warriors holding the line while my quarrelers and a single unit of iron drakes deployed in the back.

And boy did they quite literally cook once they got setup, the iron drakes especially with their flamethrowers just deleted pretty much everything that got in range, even the scary minotaurs ended up routing within seconds. Fight ends up fairly quickly and the iron drakes are sitting at a neat 500 kills and some 30k+ worth of damage.

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10660 on: September 19, 2024, 12:13:41 pm »

Hah, I've got my own TWH3 ownage story. (Also an ambush.)

I'm playing a Norsca campaign. I'd taken over all of Norsca pretty early on and was working on trashing Kislev and working into the Empire....

When the Daemons of Chaos faction declared war on me, due to anti-player bias. So they landed a couple armies on the north coast of Norsca and I had to send a couple armies up there to deal with them.

One army was a Skin Wolf doomstack. Nothing but Skinwolves, Skin Wolf Hero, normal lord and shaman on horseback, and a couple Marauder Horsemasters. So a very mobile army, which made all the difference.

So I ambush a Daemons of Chaos army and it's at least half regiments of renown, chaos warriors of Slaanesh, pink and blue horrors and, worst of all, Rot Knights. Oh, and Aekold Helbrass as a hero.

Since I had an almost entirely melee force I rushed in. My lord and SW Hero struggled against the Daemon of Slaanesh lord right from the outset. The squishier units like pink and blue horrors and Chaos furies wipe pretty quickly. But the Chaos Warriors, Regiment of Renown Chaos Giant and the Rot Knights absolutely fuck up my skin wolves. Particularly the Rot Knights who knock down infantry health by 50% in one good charge. My skin wolves start retreating from the fight almost immediately. Things are not looking good.

But here's the thing about skin wolves: they're fucking fast. Faster than almost any infantry and almost as fast as medium cavalry. And they regen. So they break and run but quickly outdistance chaos warriors immediately and return to the fight with more health than they fled it with.

My lord and hero eventually down the enemy lord, and turn to face Aekold Helbrass, who is tanking both of their damage and multiple skin wolf units despite only being rank 9. If he'd been higher rank and had his AoE heal, I'm pretty sure I would have lost the fight.

Things are looking pretty grim though. All the toughest units are mostly full health and have barrier to boot, my skin wolves are uniformly at 30% health or less, the Rot Knights are unfightable in melee, the Chaos Giant is flattening units left and right in melee, and the Chaos Warriors are so tough that there's no chance my skin wolves can make any real progress against them.

So what do? Well, I channeled my inner Legend of Total War. I realized that, of the units left, nothing is faster than the slowest unit in my army. So I run my forces around the map, separating the AI and pick off the Rot Knights with my Marauder Horsemasters. The whole time I'm kiting the remainder of the army around, almost all my units are regenerating. I finish off a couple more almost dead units like Forsaken with my Marauder Horsemasters, and eventually position my army in one place while the remainder of the enemy forces are scattered about. I use the now ammo-depleted Horsemasters to kite away the Severed Claw (regiment of renown Aspiring Champions, probably the nastiest RoR unit in the Chaos roster) while the rest of my army dog piles Aekold Helbrass and down him in just a few seconds. That gave me the army loses and I won. With my entire army more or less being at full health thanks to regen. If I'm honest, it was really the regen that pushed the balance of power to the point I didn't need to wipe out all their toughest units to get the army loses.

Felt good. Even though it's cheesing the AI with fast units, I could have easily lost that battle if I'd just yolo'd my units in there.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2024, 01:59:30 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10661 on: Today at 05:56:20 am »

I wouldn't really call that cheese tbh. You're using fast skirmishing units to harass and split up your enemy before defeating them piecemeal. That's just good military tactics. Sure the AI is dumb enough to fall for it but throughout history humans have been too.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10662 on: Today at 07:24:47 pm »

I think I made a mild accomplishment by fitting 6 water extractors on that tiny lake in the southeast corner of the Grassy Field zone, not too far from a pure-grade coal node. Together they, along with a Mk2 Miner on the coal node, fully charge 16 coal generators, for a total of 1200MW, more than doubling my existing power capacity. Some clipping of pipes and belts was involved. No pumps were needed, as the coal generators were below the lake's altitude.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711]