Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building a dynamic world with "common" and "uncommon" races  (Read 481 times)

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Building a dynamic world with "common" and "uncommon" races
« on: September 04, 2024, 05:19:13 pm »

I want to build a world where the main races (the vanilla entities, currently limiting myself to only SELECT edits) are guaranteed to prosper across the map, as touchstones of the setting. I also want to have a vast catalogue of races that use the mechanics of world generation to vary greatly in prominence: a given civ and its corresponding ancestry could end up as one-site-minors or players on the world stage.
I do want to handle evil civs a bit differently than the standard ones, with all the bad guys (goblins, orcs, blendecs, and so on) all in roughly equal proportions, while the non-diabolical civilized world has various pockets of diversity and homogeneity.

I've been looking at this code from Droseran, which combined with each civ corresponding to a single SETTLEMENT_BIOME and universal BIOME_SUPPORT, is supposed to create a world without territorial struggles.
Code: [Select]
    [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:1]
    [MAX_POP_NUMBER:3900]
    [MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:130]

I wonder - should I attempt to maximize territorial strife? Single-civ entities tend to struggle in such a world if there's aggressive, biome-liberal warmongers.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 06:09:22 pm by DPh Kraken »
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a dynamic world with "common" and "uncommon" races
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2024, 03:12:28 am »

to my understanding, it does mean the following:

[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:1]
there will only be one Civ of this entitytype.

[MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:130]
When the population of 130 is reached, the civ will try to build a new settlement. Dwarves have 120, thus settelements of this civ tend to be bigger. 130 means they spread a little slower, but settlements are harder to conquer. like more defensive.

[MAX_POP_NUMBER:3900]
The civ will stay relatively small, compared to dwarves which can have up to 10000 population

single SETTLEMENT_BIOME
The civ is able to build to BUILD settlements only in this biome. It doenst prevent them to conquer settlements in other biomes

universal BIOME_SUPPORT (Any_land + any_water)
the civ is able to make contact with all civilizations accross the world, waging war or trade. I think I would prefer a more localized biome support, if you want to have those civs play a more minor role.

Do you wish that variation you spoke of to be dynamic and depending on world generation? Or are you going to create them differently? the last one would be easier to accomplish.

This thread contains very usefull information: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148282.0
"EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME in a region where it has no BIOME_SUPPORT, the game will attempt to place the initial settlement directly on a boundary between one of its EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOMEs and one of the regions that it has BIOME_SUPPORT for.  However, this seems to prevent the civ from spreading beyond its initial site. "

I'am currently working on a entity designer for windows. Its almost ready to be used. Would you be interested in trying it out?

« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 07:28:26 am by joostheger »

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building a dynamic world with "common" and "uncommon" races
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2024, 03:28:58 am »

Maybe you can design some kind of "Biome-support-circle".

So like this

Civ(group) 1: biomes a, b, c, d
Civ(group) 2, biomes d, e, f, g
Civ(group) 3, biomes g, h, i, j
... etc

this means that Civ 1 and 2 only can clash if they share a neighbouring biome of type d, and the same applies to 2 and 3 with biome g.

So you could make a desert-group of civs, which share roughly the same values and ethics, same for mountain, forest, plains etc.