Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to fight zombies effectively?  (Read 459 times)

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to fight zombies effectively?
« on: September 06, 2024, 04:39:33 pm »

Everyone seems to claim that blunt attacks are more effective for dealing with undead than edged weapons, but in my experience, blunt attacks take FOREVER to actually kill undead (even in adventure mode). In fact, they’re so slow that dwarves will eventually tire out and get overwhelmed the grand majority of the time, which isn’t really any more different than what happens with edged attacks. Even if the zombies aren’t being reanimated over and over again, blunt attacks will still fail because of how slow they are to kill. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a good way to actually fight zombies?
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: How to fight zombies effectively?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2024, 07:28:08 pm »

There are many suggestions for silver maces because silver is 33% heavier than steel and there are no severed limbs to be reanimated. Consider that many players had their first wins against undead by following the silver mace suggestion, so they suggest it, and it does work well against unarmored undead.

My opinion... Steel axes and silver maces are the best because they are heavier weapons. But the dwarf needs to have some strength and skill so they can get the weapon velocity up and hit with a lot of momentum. The more momentum applied to the corpse, the faster it "dies", and a weak or tired dwarf will do little damage to a corpse when they hit. Severing an arm or leg is good because a prone undead can't fight back well, it is easier to hit, and when prone there is a damage bonus (from the gravity assist, and maybe because the corpse is sandwiched between the weapon and the ground).

So, the good way to fight zombies is fast and hard, or not at all. Because they won't submit to pain or fear, and you'll always need to do that damage to them to "kill" them.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.