Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fanmade [RELIGION] tokens  (Read 779 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Fanmade [RELIGION] tokens
« on: April 23, 2024, 07:25:42 pm »

What about an [OBJECT:RELIGION]? Or splitting the current religion mechanics into tags for the same customisation options for entities and creatures? I am excluding cults that worship megabeasts and demons and the like, as those should be handled separately. I am talking about mythological figures here.

You can add any tags you think would be fitting in the replies. I will be adding things I think it is missing as well.

My tags below;

RELIGION
CREATES_WEREBEAST_CURSES
Makes the divine figures of this belief system capabke of cursing people to become vampires. Does nothing if there are no gods in the belief system.
DEITY_NATURE

SPHERE: Literally the spheres themselves. They have no descriptions, and no names. Adherents of this belief system literally worship mountains or the caverns or justice. These figures are not limited by the tokens;

•DEITY_NUMBER
•DEITY_FORM
•DEITY_DESC_MALE
•DEITY_DESC_FEMALE
•DEITY_DESC_NEUTRAL
•DEITY_POWER
•GODS_TIED_TO

They are not counted as gods, and therefore do not curse people or make deals with demons.

GOD: Divine figures with names, unique persons and spheres they are associated with. Spheres associated change with the entities RELIGION_SPHERE and SPHERE_ALIGNMENT tags.
DEITY_NUMBER
How many unique divine figures this belief system can have. Goes from 0 to 25. Making both 1 will produce monotheistic religions that worships nothing else. Making both 0 will mean no unique divine figures, and any mentions of such will be vague, such as "a god".
DEITY_POWER
Determines the range of how many spheres a divine figure can have. Making both 0 means gods with no spheres and worshippers that just revere them instead of meditating on anything.
DEITY_FORM

ANIMAL: Divine figures can be depicted as animals from the said civilisations homeland.
HYBRID: Divine figures can be depicted as animal hybrids of the civilisations race, such as a dwarf with a lions head, or a human with bat wings.
PERSON: Divine figures can be depicted as the race of the civilisation.
EMBODIMENT: Divine figures can be depicted as personifications of their spheres, such as beings made of fire or plant matter.
ABSTRACT: Divine figures have no depictions of themselves and instead are depicted through their effects on the world, such a rain deity depicted through the rain they make.
DEITY_DESC_MALE
DEITY_DESC_FEMALE
DEITY_DESC_NEUTRAL
Defaults to "god:gods:god", "goddess:goddesses:goddess" and "deity:deities:deity", respectively. Allows the divine figures to be referred to as anything, such as "force", "spirit" or "aspect". Not including one or two of them means figures having only the included pronouns. Including none means exclusively genderless deities.
GODS_TIED_TO

NONE: Divine figures are not bound or associated with any given location.
BIOME: Divine figures of this belief system are bound to and associated with certain terrain. A civilisations home biome always takes precedence.
SITE: Divine figures are associated with and are the tutelary gods of certain sites that the civilisation holds. Only the sites established by the said civilisation can be held, and the first site of the civilisation always takes precedence.
GOD_BIOME_ASSOCIATION
Requires [GODS_TIED_TO:BIOME] to work. Defines which biomes that the deities of a belief system can be associated with. Accepts biome tags similarly to creature and entity definitions. Tokens which point to a large number of biomes are described with indicators such as ''presides over all forests'' or ''permeates all aboveground nature.'' If not specified, defaults to the biomes that entity is permitted to initially generate within.
GOD_SITE_ASSOCIATION
Requires [GODS_TIED_TO:SITE] to work. Defines which kinds of sites that the deities of a belief system can be associated with. Accepts site tags similarly to entity definitions. More than one can be defined. If not specified, defaults to the sites the entity likes.
GODS_MAKE_PACTS_WITH_DEMONS
Decides if the divine figures have procedurally angels to their name. If not, the vaults will be defended by traps instead.
CREATES_DIVINE_METAL

« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 12:55:21 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fanmade [RELIGION] tokens
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 07:42:21 pm »

This looks really good, but what about the regional forces that elves worship?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 07:49:51 pm »

This looks really good, but what about the regional forces that elves worship?

That would be a belief system with;

[DEITY_NATURE:GOD]
[DEITY_NUMBER:1:1]
[DEITY_POWER:1:2]
[DEITY_FORM:ABSTRACT]
[DEITY_DESC_NEUTRAL:force:forces:force]
[GODS_TIED_TO:BIOME]
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 08:55:50 pm »

Oh I didn't see that part

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 08:58:37 pm »

I love this, hopefully it can become a part of the upcoming myth & magic changes. +1.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2024, 04:03:32 pm »

It might be interesing to flesh out non-theistic religions, along with ancestor worship, hero worship, divine kings and tutelary deities (which is already present in the proposal, as being bound to bimes or sites).
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2024, 03:14:27 am »

GODS_TIED_TO•typeHas 2 valid entries. A belief system can have both of them. A belief system that doesn't has this token do not have deities its deities bound to locations.

BIOME: Divine figures of this belief system are bound to and associated with certain terrain. A civilisations home biome always takes presedence.
SITE: Divine figures are associated with and are the tutelary gods of certain sites that the civilisation holds. Only the sites established by the said civilisation can be held, and the first site of the civilisation always takes presedence.
(Emphasis added)

Why do deities need to be bound to a specific biome or place?  Why can’t there be any deities that have the whole world as their domain?  Many real world religions (both extent and extinct) have/had deities whose domains covered the entire world.  Why not DF?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2024, 01:47:38 pm »

GODS_TIED_TO•typeHas 2 valid entries. A belief system can have both of them. A belief system that doesn't has this token do not have deities its deities bound to locations.

BIOME: Divine figures of this belief system are bound to and associated with certain terrain. A civilisations home biome always takes presedence.
SITE: Divine figures are associated with and are the tutelary gods of certain sites that the civilisation holds. Only the sites established by the said civilisation can be held, and the first site of the civilisation always takes presedence.
(Emphasis added)

Why do deities need to be bound to a specific biome or place?  Why can’t there be any deities that have the whole world as their domain?  Many real world religions (both extent and extinct) have/had deities whose domains covered the entire world.  Why not DF?

Because tutelary deities were a thing across several religion such as Ancient Roman paganism, Hinduism and Shinto. Hell, even Catholicism has patron saint for locations ranging from cities to entire countries.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2024, 02:21:42 pm »

(Emphasis added)

Because tutelary deities were a thing across several religion such as Ancient Roman paganism, Hinduism and Shinto. Hell, even Catholicism has patron saint for locations ranging from cities to entire countries.

I already knew/understood that.  That still doesn’t explain why your system bans non-tutelary deities!

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2024, 05:37:24 pm »

(Emphasis added)

I already knew/understood that.  That still doesn’t explain why your system bans non-tutelary deities!

Maybe the OP wanted to have both tutelar and "general" deities.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2024, 01:05:07 am »

If the deities use the same biome tokens as the rest of the game, there are biome sets, like ALL_MAIN or ANY_LAND, which consist of most of biomes. Though, there isn't one that covers all, but if you're allowed to give multiple biomes/sets for a deity, then you could have it covering all biomes of the world. Or just add a new biome token ALL/ANY that would encompass all biomes of the world (and the new biome token could be used by creatures, plants, etc. too).

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2024, 05:33:53 am »

(Emphasis added)

Maybe the OP wanted to have both tutelar and "general" deities.

That’s what I wanted.  However, according to the part that I emphasized, if your religion has gods, you have to use the GODS_TIED_TO tags, which means that you can only have tutelary deities, and not “general” deities.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2024, 12:18:09 pm »

If the deities use the same biome tokens as the rest of the game, there are biome sets, like ALL_MAIN or ANY_LAND, which consist of most of biomes. Though, there isn't one that covers all, but if you're allowed to give multiple biomes/sets for a deity, then you could have it covering all biomes of the world. Or just add a new biome token ALL/ANY that would encompass all biomes of the world (and the new biome token could be used by creatures, plants, etc. too).

You know what? Why not? You could have Mother Gaia in DF if you modified elven religion a little.

That’s what I wanted.  However, according to the part that I emphasized, if your religion has gods, you have to use the GODS_TIED_TO tags, which means that you can only have tutelary deities, and not “general” deities.

Oh yeah. I forgot. Perhaps a [GODS_TIED_TO: NONE] could be a thing.

[EDIT]: I decided to add more to hopefully clear this up.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 12:42:33 pm by Magmacube_tr »

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2024, 01:27:01 pm »

Since planes and dimensions are going to be a thing, then a deity could also be tied to or associated with one them. God of the underworld stuff, etc. Deities could also be associated with everything as previously mentioned, mostly all-powerful monotheistic gods or “creator” gods.
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.