Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to make mod graphics update on existing worlds?  (Read 839 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

Something I noticed when making my civ mod and updates for it is that whenever I make a change to the graphics, it requires an entirely new world to see those changes. This recently became an issue when I released the portrait update for my mod a few weeks ago, and none of the old worlds I had with my civ had the new portraits or the tile sprite overhaul I did.

I wanted to know if there's a way to make the graphics update for mods? I figured this was some limitation of DF, but my old worlds got the updated vanilla portraits, even if my modded civ didn't get their portraits when I added them. I did tell it to update the mod when I loaded an old world, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

I'm mainly asking now because I'm fixing a minor graphics bug and it feels kinda bad to put "you need a new world for vests to not be invisible" in my changelog.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to make mod graphics update on existing worlds?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2024, 04:44:14 pm »

Did you make sure that your new version is compatible with the older one?
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2024, 09:24:57 pm »

I don't ever remember having issues with this.  Are you just changing the graphics files, or making changes to the raws too?  Even with changes to the raws I never had issues with the graphics updating.

To be extra sure, you can try replacing the files in the installed mods folder and see if it works then.  If you're updating the version on your mod and the files aren't getting updated when you update the mod, I'm not sure what could be wrong.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2024, 01:46:00 am »

Did you make sure that your new version is compatible with the older one?

Is there a way to check if they're compatible? Because older worlds load just fine after updating my mod and telling it to update on load, although no matter how big or small of changes I make, graphical changes don't apply to old worlds. New worlds have the new changes just fine. I do have old worlds break if I delete the original version of the mod they started on, even after updating them, though.

I don't ever remember having issues with this.  Are you just changing the graphics files, or making changes to the raws too?  Even with changes to the raws I never had issues with the graphics updating.

To be extra sure, you can try replacing the files in the installed mods folder and see if it works then.  If you're updating the version on your mod and the files aren't getting updated when you update the mod, I'm not sure what could be wrong.

I've done both kinds, updates big and small, and neither time have changes applied to my existing worlds when I test them, only new ones. An early update was me just trying to shift around something in a png, and it caused me a lot of headache until I made a new world and finally saw the changes apply.

I'll give your suggestion a try next time I'm able to.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2024, 10:42:20 am »

I only work in installed_mods, it's worth the risk of bricking my random test saves if I can re-initialize my changes faster.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII