Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intelligent Undead adventurers  (Read 383 times)

AzrMetiSheele

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Intelligent Undead adventurers
« on: June 09, 2024, 03:48:47 am »

Figured I'd throw out some questions. If anyone knows some answers, it saves me time experimenting.
All questions pertain to v0.47.05, on an unmodded world.
I would like to raise an adventurer of mine as an intelligent undead once he passes, and continue playing him as an intelligent undead.
I am aware that you can have a necromancer adventurer in your party, animate a deceased party member, and then swap to that character. However, if you retire an intelligent undead character, can you later choose to resume playing as them?
The adventurer in question is currently quite old and living a peaceful retirement in a town. I would prefer for him to pass of natural causes and decay to a skeleton before reviving him (for roleplay reasons), but this is negotiable. If a human dies in a town for whatever reason, what happens to the corpse? Are they buried in a cemetery, or does the corpse just despawn when the chunk unloads?

tl;dr
I want an adventurer to die of old age in a town, decay, revive them with a different necromancer adventurer as an intelligent undead, then resume playing them. The first two things are optional but preferred. How much of this is possible?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligent Undead adventurers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2024, 04:25:03 am »

Playing a raised intelligent undead is possible, yes.

Don't know what happens to the bodies of people dying of old age in generated sites.

Worlder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 09:35:01 am »

I have no answers, but your roleplay sounds great
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 09:37:53 am by Worlder »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2024, 10:23:22 am »

Characters can die of old age in a town, in front of you.

I assume there is some mechanism that makes an adventurer take a place in a town. (if you want him to settle in first)
IF you can find him, or if you just dismiss him and stand nearby, the next step would be to wait for him to die of old age, which can happen.

I think characters usually die of old age when the year rolls around.
and as for figuring out which year he dies, I recommend df hack.