Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cursed/Blessed Artifacts tied to World Generation and in-game events  (Read 303 times)

Spiritibus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

So, this could possibly tie into the Myth & Magic update.

Imagine that in your fort, a Dwarf throws a tantrum and proceeds to kill 3 and more dwarves before being put down by your Fortress militia.

The weapon or clothes he was using, satisfying certain conditions, could become a cursed or blessed Artifact (or other term, so we could be able to differentiate one from another)

Later on, one of your dwarves from your militia squad could equip one of these items and would be able to use supernatural abilities or skill bonus -for example, at the cost of a drawback (both ability and drawback would be randomly generated, so the usage of the item could offer no ability, but a drawback, or the opposite).

Let's say, an axe could set someone on fire on hit, but make the user suffocate or get winded faster as long he keeps swinging it around.

Or even something crazy as an weapon that kills the user tries if he tries to swing it.

It could make stuff get really !!FUN!! in your fort.

And also, it could be implemented in Adventure Mode.

What you guys think?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Cursed/Blessed Artifacts tied to World Generation and in-game events
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2024, 11:56:23 am »

I think cursed and blessed items were already on the table for possibilities. I don't think tantrums/berserk dwarves should be cause enough to create them, though. Maybe if they were an important figure (some manner of noble, or respected for legendary deeds like killing a forgotten beast) killed a large number of dwarves in a short time period, like a militia captain going nuts and killing 10+ people with their axe. Or if a cyclops or something managed to snatch an item and used it to kill a dozen dwarves, it would gain a reputation and maybe accuracy or force bonus against dwarves. Weapons used against megabeasts/forgotten beasts more than once could become associated with and eventually gain a bonus against creatures that have that tag.

Or, if they profane a shrine/temple and then tantrum/go berserk, that could trigger a curse. Likewise a weapon used to kill someone who profaned the gods could be blessed.

Items created in a fell mood, definitely cursed.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.