Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elf diplomacy & wilderness agitation  (Read 362 times)

CobaltNinja

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Sore Fun-Haver
    • View Profile
Elf diplomacy & wilderness agitation
« on: March 13, 2024, 01:56:20 am »

Ever since the DFHack team released information on how the agitation system works (https://docs.dfhack.org/en/latest/docs/tools/agitation-rebalance.html#how-the-df-agitation-system-works) it set my mind running - Elven diplomacy is already pretty basic, so what about a new feature? In exchange for a much stricter tree-felling quota (or even not being allowed to cut down trees at all), the elves can offer to calm the wilderness around you and prevent them from attacking you, by resetting the agitation counter to 0.
This would be a neat little thing to make the world a little more lively, I think.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Elf diplomacy & wilderness agitation
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 07:01:32 am »

Agreed, it sounds like a neat little feature to implement (helps that it would still let us gripe about elven diplomats placing restrictions on our lumber industry). +1.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

FlareStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 01:36:41 pm »

Ever since the DFHack team released information on how the agitation system works (https://docs.dfhack.org/en/latest/docs/tools/agitation-rebalance.html#how-the-df-agitation-system-works) it set my mind running - Elven diplomacy is already pretty basic, so what about a new feature? In exchange for a much stricter tree-felling quota (or even not being allowed to cut down trees at all), the elves can offer to calm the wilderness around you and prevent them from attacking you, by resetting the agitation counter to 0.
This would be a neat little thing to make the world a little more lively, I think.

I offered similiar idea here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=182289.0

Basically, with magic update, elves receiving various bonuses regarding magic, and are able to offer you various boons or inflict unique terrible curses, depending on your relationship standing.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 09:13:13 am »

Could it be stated alongside all AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE token'd civs as a extension/elaboration on your idea?

These are the kind of races who would be able to settle into savage territories, and already lend their protection to adventurers who swear fealty to their hearth (elven civ adv's are never attacked by natural animals)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 04:27:30 pm by FantasticDorf »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 02:49:09 pm »

That sounds like a good idea to me. A sort of blessing of peace or calming that puts wild animals at ease to your presence.

You could go two steps further and say wild predators don't attack your dwarves in fort mode, and item/food/drink thieving animals can be placated or kept from spawning. If you make the right alliances with elves that have those abilities, or build a temple complex to their force or deity outdoors where they and the wildlife can worship.

That would of course anger religious dwarves in your population, and local priests could start various actions against you or the force temple.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 02:51:36 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.