Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help, Lassie! Little Timmy's fallen down the well!  (Read 1433 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Help, Lassie! Little Timmy's fallen down the well!
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:00:00 pm »

I can't get out.

Shift-arrow does nothing.  Alt-arrow does nothing.  Shift-alt-arrow does nothing. Ctrl-arrow does nothing.  <does> does nothing, and I can sit around until I die if I want.

I'm in here because I decided to go for a swim in a human town, and alt-moved into the open space above a water square.

Any way out at all?  Am I just doing it wrong?

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help, Lassie! Little Timmy's fallen down the well!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:09:00 pm »

If you weren't drowning you could 'T'ravel out, but I think you're pretty much stuck otherwise. If you had [FLIER] in your creature file you could fly out. Although adding it even for a second will probably cause random villagers to ascend and when you remove it, they will fall...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 11:14:00 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, but I think I'll just let myself die.  Still, seems like a bug or missing feature at least.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:28:00 pm »

You fell in a deep pit. Sorta. =) Unless Toady adds climbing, it sorta makes sense.

Ideally in an Adventurer psuedo-realistic situation, you would always carry a pickaxe, shovel and rope.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 11:59:00 pm »

Perhapes swim up? its probably Shift or Alt + 5
Thats my guess anyways, course, if the water doesn't reach up to the ground your probably screwed.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 02:35:00 am »

Are there actually rivers or lakes with non-vertical walls? Because I don't think I saw any. Makes swimming useless because you can't get back on the ground.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 04:30:00 am »

Lol, this is how my first new version adventure ended.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Plasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 05:36:00 am »

Adventure's handbook, tip #257: Do not jump down large holes unless you know a way to get back out again.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 12:26:00 pm »

Dudes... you can see in the screenshot that it's a tiny 1x1x1 single depth pool, not some deep pit, large hole, or any other sizable hazard. My theory is just that without swimming skill, you can't move upward in water. So if you can't swim, you sink; if you sink, you can't swim out of the pool. That will probably change when you can *climb* out of the pool, but right now you're essentially just swimming diagonally up and miraculously finding yourself on dry ground. That's my theory anyway.

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 05:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Plasma:
<STRONG>Adventure's handbook, tip #257: Do not jump down large holes unless you know a way to get back out again.</STRONG>

Adventurer's Handbook, tip #258: If you want to go for a swim, try finding and following a brook.

Also, Jonathan: This isn't about water alone; this is true with *any* hole you can jump into (that once you jump into a hole without slopes/ramps, there is *nothing* you can do to get out again unless you're a flier).  My theory is that people just plain can't reach the edge and climb out, and until the game changes to allow for that...

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 06:17:00 pm »

What about taking all your equipment off? that *might* help if you can swim better with less stuff.
Otherwise, realisticaly, you will die because you can't swim. If in real life jumped in a pit and couldn't swim, chances are you would die too.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »

Taking off all your equipment does nothing. No swimming skill = death in a pool. Walking on a brook doesn't train swimming, either - you have to find shallow pool somewhere to practice, or get swimming at the start.
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 02:44:00 am »

I agree that you're also stuck if you jump in a hole, except of course that you can actually travel out of it. But it's *predictable* that you can't get out of a "deep hole", so it's less of an issue. Nobody expects to get stuck in a single depth pool of water and unable to get out, even if they can't swim, because they think the pool is shallow, and real natural pools don't usually have cliffs on all faces that cause you to be unable to get out. Even non-swimmers can stumble across the bottom to the side of a river and walk out, and a 1x1x1 tile of water does not look like a deadly hazard. It's one thing to advise against jumping in deep pits with no exit. It's another entirely to advise against stepping in a small pool of water that bears no resemblance whatsoever to an inescapable deathtrap.