Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Messing around with forum text formatting and stuff.  (Read 403 times)

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Messing around with forum text formatting and stuff.
« on: December 15, 2023, 04:07:59 pm »

. i am very small

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Messing around with forum text formatting and stuff.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 07:10:58 pm »

. i am very small
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 05:22:17 am »

I am whispering this loudly

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 05:23:35 am »

abcd
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 06:59:25 am »

pfft that's baby stuff. Watch this, noobs.

This is a text
This is also a text
All of these are
in one table cell.
This is a ridiculously long piece of text specifically written to wrap around. There is no need for you to be reading this, there is nothing interesting or revealing contained in the text you are reading right now. Yet you keep reading it in hopes that it will elucidate some greater truth, when there is none. This is just spacefiller text filled with nonsense. There are thirteen fish in the pond, it is party season so they are all wearing hats. I do not know much about fish so i don't know where i'm going with this but long story short, they were all eaten by a rock. How can a rock be carnivorous you ask? The same way a dog can lick it's own ass.
"me" description="Stop poking me."
Strif3
Now here's my special trick—you can nest tables inside tables. You can also put images inside tables. This is very useful for roleplay game threads as you can imagine. Also, why has no one ever asked about the text in my signature? It is the alt code for an Em dash. Use 'em, makes you look more sophisticated.

Yes, the trick with the horizontal rule still works. No matter how many levels of tables down. However, color does not work properly across horizontal rulers. This text is also right-aligned. See where i'm going with this?

ChatGPT, provide a short list of reasons why the Em Dash (—) should be used in regular online communication.

Certainly! The Em Dash (—) can be a useful punctuation mark in online communication for various reasons:

Emphasis: The Em Dash can be used to add emphasis to a particular part of a sentence—drawing attention to it and making it stand out.
Parenthetical Information: It can be employed to set off parenthetical information or additional details within a sentence—providing a smooth flow while conveying extra context.
Interruptions or Breaks: The Em Dash can indicate sudden interruptions, breaks, or shifts in thought within a sentence—allowing for a more dynamic and conversational tone.
Lists or Pairs: It can be used in place of colons or commas to set off items in a list or pairs—offering a clear and organized presentation of information.
Clarity in Complex Sentences: In complex sentences, the Em Dash can help clarify the relationship between different parts of the sentence, making it easier for readers to follow.
Alternative to Parentheses: While parentheses are commonly used for additional information, the Em Dash can serve as an alternative, especially when a less formal or more fluid style is desired.
Attribution in Dialogue: In dialogue, the Em Dash can be used to attribute speech to a particular character or source, providing clarity and avoiding confusion.
Creating a Pause or Dramatic Effect: The Em Dash can create a pause or a sense of drama—allowing writers to control the pacing of the text and engage readers.

ChatGPT 3.5

Oh, by the way, all of the above and this text included is all within one table cell. You can confirm this. By being careful, you can select and highlight only the text and images within this cell. Selection also sticks to the table division across rows. Here's a couple more words to pad out this section and make it wrap.

Hey, congrats on finding this, whether you did it by highlighting this or pressing quote on my post! Invisible text can be done by specifying "transparent" as a text color. Yes this is a real thing. Not too obvious when placed in a seemingly empty table cell, huh?
this
however
is
on
the
next
row

Strif3
Sadly, quotes nor spoilers work correctly inside tables. However, putting a quote inside a table does break it's typical functioning and allow for a miniaturized quote.

Unlike this one which takes up the whole page width :P. Weird, ain't it?

Okay, that's all the table tricks i've got to show you for now. Thanks for coming to my TED talk. Cya later lol.
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 08:52:44 am »

A
AA
AAA
AAAA
AAAAA
AAAAA
AAAAAA
AAAAAAA
AAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
                Hello!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 05:46:45 pm »

None of this is .text, it is all .data.

EDIT: (I do like Strif3's work though. Nice stuff!)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 06:55:23 pm by McTraveller »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 06:32:56 pm »

What sophisticated formatting you bare, Strif3—quite the tasteful use of punctuation no less.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 03:19:48 am »

I have no interesting text formatting magics, except teletype.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 06:07:47 am »

I have no interesting text formatting magics, except teletype.
ooh, thank you (didn’t know that was a thing)
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment