Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven town!  (Read 917 times)

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven town!
« on: October 31, 2007, 02:22:00 am »

So I just explored a Mountainhome of the Dwarves. Well, mostly. I didn't explore it entirely, for a couple reasons, which I'll get into. Things I noticed about them...

-HARD TO FIND like most locations. This is complicated by the fact that they're built into mountains, and thus often there are cliffs involved in getting to them, making exploration much more difficult.

-Entrance is AWESOME. It's more or less a huge hole lined with staircases. I thought about jumping but decided against it.

-Architecture is, similarly, AWESOME. Long, pillared hallways, dozens and dozens of rooms, all orderly and (of course) smoothed out. Far easier to navigate than in previous versions.

-They are gi-fucking-gantic. Huge. Massive. Rediculous. The one I explored, I fully explored the first 2 or 3 levels, then started just going for the down ramp. I think I was on the tenth or eleventh level when I couldn't find any more down-ramps. And each level is massive.

-Perhaps this point was magnified by the previous point, but they are almost completely empty. Maybe it was just because it was nighttime, but in my quest of exploration I ran into two or three peasents, two or three guards, a child or two, and a handful of elves (and elven children) who were there for no discernable reason. Oh, and nobody was moving around at all either.

Bottom line is, avoid them like you did in other versions. Theres nobody to visit, nothing to do, just a huge empty series of caverns. At least, not as far as I could tell. Maybe on one of those eight or nine floors I skipped, there was some dwarven king or queen or mayor or shopkeeper or... or... I don't know, a prostitute or something, but I didn't have the patience to search each and every floor.

Anybody been to a dark fortress yet? Are they any different?

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven town!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:59:00 am »

The main question is, of course, can you settle in these forts? Or are they forbidden due to being occupied?

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:09:00 am »

I tried, as soon as they get highlighted in the local map the embark button is grayed out.

A shame realy, I would of loved to have a huge fortress without any of the work involved, then I'd trap the npcs in channels then flood them.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Sheogorath ]

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:56:00 am »

Why? they would make excellent defense forces!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

Does anyone actually know for sure if they will defend themselves? Someone posted a log of someone getting attacked by a fish. The only attacks by that person were counterattacks, and even those were few and far between. In my experience, they all just stand there. Even when you collapse the ground out from under them, all they do is find a way back to their previous level and continue standing.

Vodalian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto:
<STRONG>Does anyone actually know for sure if they will defend themselves? Someone posted a log of someone getting attacked by a fish. The only attacks by that person were counterattacks, and even those were few and far between. In my experience, they all just stand there. Even when you collapse the ground out from under them, all they do is find a way back to their previous level and continue standing.</STRONG>

I was exploring around a fortress, I couldn't find the entrance,  but my screen was spammed with descriptions of dwarves fighting various batmen. It went on for a very long time and I never even saw a single dwarf.

I love how different species fight each other :P

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Vodalian ]

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

Oh by the way, while wandering around in the fortress I got a pop-up saying I had discovered a river (twice in a row!). However some searching yielded no such river that I could find, at least not underground...
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!