Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I let creature A apply a syndrome to creature B?  (Read 356 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I let creature A apply a syndrome to creature B?
« on: August 29, 2023, 08:42:45 am »

I want a spawned vermin 'A' to apply a syndrome to my CustomCreature 'B'.

creature A:
- VERMIN_SOIL

creaure B:
- ROOT_AROUND

Its been ages and I'am struggling with this. first I tried the gobbling/ingestion mechanic (as you might have seen). Then I tried as Eric suggested using the VERBIN_BITE mechanic. This works, but also my dwarfs get bitten all the time.

So ive tried:
* gobbling / eating - wont apply
* Continues secretions with gas - no gas is seen, probably because the despawn within 40 ticks. 
* can_do_interactions - they dont interact. I dont get them to do it spontaniously as a greeting, defence or fleeing interaction. Why: I dont know. they quickly despawn.
* verbin_bite: does work. But i get constantly announcements.

Please help

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I let creature A apply a syndrome to creature B?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 09:29:17 am »

yes I did. but I also got the announcement

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 09:41:48 am »

I also dont get vermin to directly attack any creatures. I even made them [crazed] and [opposed_to_live], but they didnt attack. Otherwise I could have used the attack-interaction or something. I also tried Fleequick and benign. no effect. I think Vermin wont ever get hostile.

The thing I could try, is to see if cats get the syndrome by hunting and eating vermin. to be seen. Edit: nope.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 09:59:19 am by joostheger »

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 10:27:44 am »

Is it even possible to target vermin in an interaction?
I made a syndrome fluid but the vermin's weren't affected at all.

What I was trying to do, were the first steps for transforming the vermin into a creature, capable of combat. havent worked it out yet

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 10:59:17 am »

Ouch that seals it then 😭

Worse case you could make a (*-sudo vermin-*) from an actual creature and go from there ? Not sure if that would work for your project or not though

I have a small creature that I summon with a reaction it's crazed when it appears and if certain condition are met it performs an interaction that applies syndromes and does other things
I have it setup as a [night_creature_nightmare] so it leaves no corpses when it dies

this is just a copy of a dwarf with some flaver details changed

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

this is the interaction, this can be done in lot of different ways
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
if you wonder why there's a creature transform in there its to remove all body damage from resurrected dead dwarfs so there not mutilated when they are resurrected

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 11:18:21 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, but iam afraid these also wont work. Vermin apearently is something totally different from other creatures.

Guess i have to kearn dfhack then. Lets go

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 11:24:18 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, but iam afraid these also wont work. Vermin apearently is something totally different from other creatures.

Guess i have to kearn dfhack then. Lets go

yea it seems that with this game you can do just about anything, except some times it just doesn't happen the way you want it to exactly happen :(
im sure you can achieve the effect you want, it just wont happen in the exact way you want it to happen

dfhack is prolly the best option if your just wanting to play locally, the idea mod wise not very ideal :(

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 02:29:35 pm »

Yeah, vermin are effectively a glorified item type with only a few special considerations. Biting, getting gobbled, being caught in traps or by fishermen, being caught by cats and dying in spider webs and eating food left out of barrels/unguarded by cats are really all they do to interact directly with the world.

Dwarves will absolutely be bitten by the critter, but did you write the syndrome so they're an immune creature or class? You could remove the dying after bite part so they last until they encounter a vermin gobbler or cat
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.