Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not hauling?  (Read 10092 times)

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
Dwarves not hauling?
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:15:39 am »

They have all hauling labors on except for militia.But they wont haul all the items that need to be hauled to the almost empty stockpile : wood and stone.
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not hauling?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 10:33:27 am »

What job are they doing instead? Unless it's "no job," it's just because they're busy. You can check the standing (o)rders to make sure you haven't accidentally disabled wood or stone hauling. Also, check to see whether you've assigned wheelbarrows to each of them; wheelbarrows limit the maximum number of dwarves that can haul to a given stockpile at a time. 0 ⇒ ∞, 1 ⇒ 1, 2 ⇒ 2, etc. This is very useful for stone stockpiles, because otherwise your entire fort's population can get tied up painstakingly hauling very heavy items from a long distance away--you usually want to have a small, limited-hauling stone stockpile feeding smaller, nearby ones.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 10:56:25 am »

They have no job . I did not disable wood/stone hauling.

EDIT:They are currently hauling tons of shells to the new refuse piles because i did not realize the old refuse piles were full.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:34:26 am by KillerHP »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 12:28:35 pm »

Well, are the stone/wood reachable, i.e. is there a way to walk there and to the stockpile(s) (no locked doors, raised drawbridges, workshops that block the paths, etc), and are you sure you don't have burrows forbidding access to the items?

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 02:27:25 am »

Im sure , the alert is inactive , the drawbridge lowered , no locked doors.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 02:44:12 am »

I bet its wheelbarrows set to 1 in stockpile settings.
prees q move cursor to stockpile in question, look at wheelbarrows,  hit w to change to zero.
Watch idllers go to zero, as stuff gets hauled.

1 dwarf with a wheelbarrow getting the farthest item first, will get you a partial full stockpile, and lotsa idlers every time.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 06:38:17 pm »

recently my whole fort came to a standstill and it turned out I had I had wounded that needed a hospital..

pajrc1234

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2023, 09:03:12 pm »

This is a little late to the party, but since it's at the top of the list anyway, I'll share an experience I had yesterday and today.
Literally none of my dwarves would unload the original caravan. And then, when I abandoned and made a few fort, they wouldn't move things from my temporary general stockpile to the new one. I was incredibly frustrated.
But I figured it out:
It was a custom stockpile, and for some reason the "additional options" for "Plant/animal" and "Non-plant/animal" were disabled. They're there if you want to appease elves more easily. But in my case, since they were both disabled, they were preventing the dwarves from putting anything in the stockpile. Permitted both of those, and it was fixed.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 11:36:23 am »

also ive noticed and im not sure if im imagining it or its happening but I SWEAR sometimes when I expand a stockpile that has rock in it or its a stockpile set to ALL that it occationally sets the damned wheelbarrow to 1 which if your not paying attention can go unnoticed for a long time I might be crazy but I swear it does this sometimes, im on steam v50

cause im constantly finding wheelbarrow set to one and I know im not setting it to that value

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 03:06:00 pm »

also ive noticed and im not sure if im imagining it or its happening but I SWEAR sometimes when I expand a stockpile that has rock in it or its a stockpile set to ALL that it occationally sets the damned wheelbarrow to 1 which if your not paying attention can go unnoticed for a long time I might be crazy but I swear it does this sometimes, im on steam v50

cause im constantly finding wheelbarrow set to one and I know im not setting it to that value
Every time you open the custom settings on a stockpile, it resets its barrels/bins/wheelbarrows. It's a bug in the v50.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 03:22:06 pm »

Every time you open the custom settings on a stockpile, it resets its barrels/bins/wheelbarrows. It's a bug in the v50.

AHahahhh ok then,...... that is mildly infuriating :D