Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Castes, body appearance modifiers, armor and weapons.  (Read 558 times)

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Castes, body appearance modifiers, armor and weapons.
« on: July 18, 2023, 04:51:26 pm »

What is the value checked when the game needs to know if a creature may equip a piece of armor or weapon?

I know that it is not the actual size of the creature in question, that is why no dwarves may equip some weapons, even though they may be able to equip them two or even on handed if the minimum size requirements applied to individual creature. I also know that armor is sized to a particular size, and that outside of a small range from that size, other species may not equip it.

However, what I need to know is what value specifically is checked.

For instance, if I have a species of civilized creatures, which are exactly like humans, with the designated creature size being 70,000, but with one of the two castes for each gender being changed to the size of a dwarf using [CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC], what would be the result? Could the smaller caste still equip the "human sized armor"? Could they equip all weapons?

Additionally, may the average size of a creature be made to be smaller than their indicated size should dictate, if [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110] is changed to
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:10:25:50:75:90:105:110]? And would such changes prevent any of the smaller creatures from wearing armor or equipping weapons they rightfully ought to be able to given their [BODY_SIZE]?

This is very important for a mod I am working on, which includes castes ranging from half the size of a human, to three times their size. I would greatly appreciate any help.

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Castes, body appearance modifiers, armor and weapons.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 05:33:58 am »

For weapons, it's the BODY_SIZE. It should check the actual size but I think it's bugged

IIRC you can wear armor if the creature it is sized for is within 1/7 of the BODY_SIZE. So a human (70k) can wear armor made for creatures between 60k and 80k. What I  don't know is how this works for castes with varying sizes, like you are describing. Sorry

Are they meant to be a playable race? If no, they might even just show up in correctly sized armor and you won't have to worry about it.
Author of Fantastic Fantasy Fortress (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180748.0)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 04:26:57 pm »

If there is a body size outside the caste definitions, so it applies to the species as a whole, that one should be used as the size for the castes too.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 12:33:20 am »

For weapons, it's the BODY_SIZE. It should check the actual size but I think it's bugged

IIRC you can wear armor if the creature it is sized for is within 1/7 of the BODY_SIZE. So a human (70k) can wear armor made for creatures between 60k and 80k. What I  don't know is how this works for castes with varying sizes, like you are describing. Sorry

Are they meant to be a playable race? If no, they might even just show up in correctly sized armor and you won't have to worry about it.

Ah, that 1/7 figure is very useful, thank you, it should help me with some tests.

I have already done some tests, and hope to do more, on the relation of differing body sizes between castes, and the armor sizes of species as a whole.

What I have found so far is that modifying the body size percentage of one caste with [CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC] to be smaller than the other results in armor being sized to the average of the two, as long as they are of equal proportion of the population (how much proportion affects the average I will do tests on later). Interestingly, the wieldability of weapons is also determined by this average. So human, for instance, which are normally capable of wielding halberds, are ALL unable to wield them when one of the two genders is made to be half the size of the other. However, if this is balanced by a third, rarer but much larger caste which is added, and brings the overall balance of the species above the normal human average, then all of the members of the species may wield halberds if they are big enough, one or two handed depending on individual size. Additional testing may be necessary to confirm whether this is calculated correctly for individuals too small to carry even two-handed.

Strangely, if [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110] is changed for one of the genders so that every value is halved, the smaller caste is able to wield ALL weapons, though, it seems, only multi-grasp. This may be due to a small data pool. Effects on armor size have yet to be researched extensively, though all of species are able to wear their sized armor.

Anyways, I will finish my research on this once I have a good amount of time to do so, and post the findings to the general discussions, and perhaps on the wiki, so that other may make something useful of it. I know I will.

I am currently of a mind to create a caste of very rare, very short-lived, ~spermwhale-sized people which would balance the rest of the species I am creating, such that they are in-between the size of a dwarf and a human on average, thus allowing them to wear the armor of both species, without affecting the actual species very much. Hopefully, within a couple months or so, you will see the fruit of this labor.