Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attacking invaders caused a massive bloodbath in the fortress temple.  (Read 714 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile

My monarch moved their court to my fortress some time ago, and shortly after they arrived I got a message about Barons and Baronesses visiting. Which ended up being about 33 visitors. Around 7 were goblins, the rest were dwarfs. The queen is herself a dwarf as is her consort. They've been hanging out in the temple for about a year.

The fortress came under siege so I activated burrows and brought everyone inside. 3 goblin snatchers arrived at the same time and moved in immediately, and the moment they got close enough for my marksdwarfs to start shooting at them, most of the visiting nobility went hostile and massive brawl breaks out in the temple. Unfortunately for them some wardogs and some tame grizzly bears were also in the temple, and started tearing into the goblins. Then everything goes crazy.

The stray grizzly bear bites the goblin in the head
the stray grizzly bear jumps out of the stray grizzly bear's flight path! (wtf????)
the stray grizzly bear slams into an obstacle! (artery opened by impact)
The bear attacks the goblin again and proceeds to shake the goblin around by the head until it dies.

Another bear charges a different goblin, but the goblin deftly keeps dodging, the bear plows through the crowd, and knocks a cat aside somehow without injuring it, charges again and slams the goblin. Then it bites into the goblin's stomach and chews them to pieces.

The wardogs get some, and also proceed to throttle some of the gobbos to death.

At this point, a military squad on the way to station and await the invaders walk by the temple and decide to join in. Then the combat log turns into a chaotic mess as the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones seems to be re enacted inside the temple. The soldiers charge in and heads and limbs start flying everywhere. Blood pools and spatters covers more of the temple floor than not. Moments later, 17 of the 33 or so visitors lay dead. Barons, Baronesses, consorts, and I guess their entourages of peasants and such. As far as I can tell, none of my people were injured or killed. A few of them are still praying while the room is covered in limbs and viscera.

It started the moment the goblin snatchers were attacked by the military. But they were snatchers - can the nobility of enemies visit your fortress? Why would they come with my monarch? Of the 17 dead, about 5 were goblins and were the first to die, but the rest were dwarfs. Dwarfs raised by goblin snatchers, perhaps? None of my zones allow outside visitors, so other than 3 monster slayers (which didn't participate) there have been no other sources of visitors. There is one lone goblin baroness who has been left untouched. The temple was deep inside the fortress, where the snatchers were on the surface level when they were pelted by crossbow bolts.

I was unable to find what caused a grizzly bear to be propelled into a wall. Can creatures slam themselves into walls on a missed charge?

The goblins in the actual siege made it to the front gate and then just noped out and headed off without any conflict.

I'm very confused.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 09:29:11 am by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know visitors revert to loyalty to their parent civ if things kick off, even after they've had a petition for long term residency accepted. One reason to deny petitions, especially from goblins, even if you're currently at peace. Sometimes from elves as well, depending on your plans.

That shouldn't have much to do with your situation. Maybe some of the retinue was actually visitors from another civ? Or if they really were all citizens that's an interesting case.

What version was this in?

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile

The current Steam release version, experimental branch.

Shortly after this event, more visiting barons came down and were slaughtered. Now the temple and the tavern/dining hall is covered in bodies and blood and I've been spammed by messages of inheriting titles, more deaths, and now 5 of them were eventually passed to my people, so now I have 5 Barons in addition to a duke and monarch.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This sounds like you've got a loyalty cascade kicking around, I just don't know how it started.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile

None of my zones allow outside visitors, so other than 3 monster slayers (which didn't participate) there have been no other sources of visitors

I don't use experimental branch, and maybe this has been fixed, but the zone restrictions aren't working correctly (tested most in 50.07). I have temples with citizens only setting which still houses everyone and their mother, from all across the continent, for example.

Also, it is possible to have visits from two factions which are at war.

What I understand from your description, it started with valid targets (goblin snatchers) attacked by your animals, and then your military properly got involved. The collateral victims were only visitors. But maybe the visitors were friendly to goblins, or were attacked accidentally (which happens, and can trigger a loyalty cascade).

And yes, critters can slam themselves into a wall (possibly hitting another creature), probably when tripped, happens mostly in crowded corridors and staircases.

You can check what civ the barons are from - they may be barons from another site of your civ, but they can also be from a completely different civ.