Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan stuck in trade depot. Why?  (Read 809 times)

takatana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan stuck in trade depot. Why?
« on: July 03, 2023, 04:18:43 am »

Playing 44.12.

I know removing the trade depot releases the merchants, but I don't want to do that because then they drop the goods. It's just a hassle to do that every year, anyway.

What I want to know is why they get stuck in the trade depot in the first place (so I can prevent it). Pressing D shows they're able to path to any of the 4 borders. There wasn't any wild animal or intruder accosting them. I've savescummed to before the caravan's arrival a few times now and the same thing happens each time, not to mention the same thing happened last year.

They appear to do the packing up "animation" as normal, then just stay in place. If I press t and look at the trade depot, my exports still appear there but with the [T] next to them, but if I look at it with q it says there are no merchants trading right now.

What causes this? If this starts happening in a save, is there a chance things might go back to normal?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan stuck in trade depot. Why?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 10:43:43 am »

As far as I know it's just a bug in the game with no workaround, but if someone knows of a way to prevent it I'd be curious to hear.  Maybe some of the DFHack people know why it happens, but my guess is that some data about the civilization is getting corrupted in the save.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 08:55:35 pm »

Maybe they lose some mules or wagons so they can't finish packing up?
You can forbid the trade depot so they can leave.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 01:58:50 pm »

In 47.05 I recently had a caravan stuck as you described until I deleted a pen/pasture zone over their exit path. Then they left. Depot access showed green even before the zone was deleted though, so I'm lucky I tried it.

takatana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 06:01:12 pm »

Maybe they lose some mules or wagons so they can't finish packing up?
Definitely not that.
In 47.05 I recently had a caravan stuck as you described until I deleted a pen/pasture zone over their exit path. Then they left. Depot access showed green even before the zone was deleted though, so I'm lucky I tried it.
I tried again having deleted all the zones the caravan might want to path through, but no luck.

takatana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 09:19:14 pm »

Well, now I'm embarrassed. This time I just waited long enough and they eventually left like normal. This was about a month and a half after I got the message that they had embarked on their journey, and a couple days before the next season change and auto-save, so I probably didn't get this outcome previously just because I didn't wait long enough.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 01:04:27 am »

Reminds me of that day when I sold 1000~ X(sock)X without bins.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 05:43:51 pm »

Well they normally do take off right when you get that message, so something is going on. Still, I'm glad it's playable without merchant madness for you.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 10:29:12 pm »

When you sell them a lot of items, it does seem to take longer for them to pack them all up.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper