Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will other languages be added into DF?  (Read 797 times)

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
Will other languages be added into DF?
« on: July 03, 2023, 07:26:03 pm »

I am a DF player from China,however,as I am in a non native English speaking country,which set up a high barrier for me to comprehend the game.The names of creatures ,ores,plants and rocks often confuse me,but I DO not like the feeling of checking a dictionary while playing DF.
So, will other languages be added into DF? :)
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Will other languages be added into DF?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 09:49:08 am »

Probably not in an official way any time soon, according to Toady.  The game is closer to being in a position to do this because of support from the new publisher, but Toady said that the procedurally generated text in the game makes translation a very difficult problem.

I've wondered if DFHack or some other binary patch could translate at least parts of the game, but I'm not aware of anyone who's tried.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 10:27:50 am »

There are fan translation mods for DF for sure, I believe their hub is here. As far as I know, some DFHack-related method is used for replacing the text in the game. Does this work well/are the translations any good? No idea, I know none of the languages on the top of that list so I haven't had the reason or ability to try them out. But for Russian, Chinese, Portugese, and Korean they claim to be more or less comprehensive. If you're Chinese and having trouble with the English, I advise you check it out.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 09:00:37 pm »

Thanks a lot!
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 11:33:16 pm »

8)To be honest ,I have been playing DF for 5 years ,it is actually not so crucial for me to get the Chinese version of DF for I have become very similar to the official terms of DF .However if my level of playing DF could be seen in the form of df skills, that must be dabbing to novice ,because I have to handle the stress of my academic subjects these years and I have no spare time to focus on such a game that needs a great deal of time devoted in it, so the skills of me are not so professional.
At the same time ,there was an interesting joke among the online community in China:while you are waiting for the Chinese version ,why not devote the time to learning English ,in such a long time,you could learn English well enough to play DF 矮人要塞.
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟