Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question from someone who wants to get into DF modding  (Read 458 times)

AIArtificialIdiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question from someone who wants to get into DF modding
« on: June 14, 2023, 10:13:18 pm »

Hey, I have never made a Mod for dwarf fortress but I have been reading the Wiki pages about the subject and I have two questions. I can't seem to find conclusive answers on these (I'm planning to mod the Steam release if that at all matters):

1. When actually making a mod should I just put any modded raws into a notepad file or something or is there some kind of tool I should use?

2. Is there a way to add custom interactions to an item, so far all my research is leading me to a resounding NO but I really hope there is some way, no matter how scuffed, because magic wands and stuff are cool.

Sorry if a thread here already answers these but I didn't find it.

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question from someone who wants to get into DF modding
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 11:26:23 pm »

So far as I know any .txt file is acceptable. Use any editor you like.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 11:34:58 pm »

For the second point, there's a janky way for items to interface with syndromes - it's because they're made of materials, which can convey syndromes to gain interactions while touching the item.
You'd then use crafting reactions to spawn scepters and weapons made of the material, so you can control the material usage case. That way you don't have to deal with boulders and lumber of spell-storing. With such a system, you do have technical limitations but a lot of room to express this creativity.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

AIArtificialIdiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 06:59:29 pm »

Thanks for the help! I kind of assumed touched-based syndromes wouldn't get transferred via picking up and holding items but it makes sense.