Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Castles and Materials.  (Read 735 times)

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
On Castles and Materials.
« on: June 30, 2023, 11:25:28 am »

In antiquity, building a stronghold or a castle took decades, and the different materials used and the different methods of actually erecting a castle were made standard: dirt, plaster and stone, and wood were all used to create the material necessary just to keep an erected structure stable.

Typically, wood was more plentiful than stone, so during construction, wood could be brought in.  The amount of wood needed to actually make a castle was large, so wood walls and towers were usually a first stepping stone to a grander, stone structure, and it wasn't uncommon to find all of the trees cut down and cleared for grassland during the lifetime of a castle.

However, wood ran one of the other tertiary concerns where a sieged wooden settlement could eventually be burned, and so stockpiling anything with wood ran another disclosure.

Based on sensible foundation building and historical evidence: how would you build and construct your above ground castles?  Give me materials and schematics if willing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 07:23:19 pm by hedgerow »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On Castles and Materials.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 11:48:19 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gu%C3%A9delon_Castle

that is a contemporary castle under construction in France, worth a look for inspiration.

Typically I just commit myself to using carved stone blocks. One could insist that sufficiently large 'foundations' are sunk into the earth before you begin to raise the walls.

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 04:05:31 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gu%C3%A9delon_Castle

that is a contemporary castle under construction in France, worth a look for inspiration.

Typically I just commit myself to using carved stone blocks. One could insist that sufficiently large 'foundations' are sunk into the earth before you begin to raise the walls.

Trying a sewer now.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 04:07:09 pm by hedgerow »

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 08:56:50 pm »

I've never done a true castle, just walls as needed and sometimes a gatehouse or towers at most. If I were to do it as a challenge though, I would channel out soil layers and construct a stone foundation going back up.

There's no exact way to do a rubble fill in the middle of two stone walls. I guess you could construct the "fill" with raw stones rather than blocks, but then you'd run out of stone, so maybe mixed blocks of different colors. Or failing that make castle walls two tiles thick, or even three with an inaccessible air gap between.

Maybe constructed ramps at the bottom outside at ground level for that angled base.

Wood timbers were heavily used as interior bracing of stone construction, part of why even stone castles could sometimes "burn," but there's no great way to represent that either, but you could set some arbitrary goal of wood logs in place of blocks straight up within a fill wall between your two real stone walls.

Doors you can get surprisingly realistic, limit yourself to wood doors studded with iron, and use [d]etails to make sure it's always banding.

Actually now you've got me wanting to do it, but I've got other stuff going on so it'll have to wait. Might fit in this map eventually, or might just restart knowing I'm going for it.