Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About to lose my fort to CD fps death, trying to learn how to avoid it next time  (Read 1204 times)

MVladO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been playing this save for months and at this point I'm having around 10 fps. I might try last attempts to save it, but I am more concerned about understanding where I failed to not repeat it next time.

1. Do cavern dwellers that are not visible/displayed cause fpsdrop?

I play on savage biome (never again) so I was too occupied by agitated birds to take pre cautions against c dwellers. I suspect they are the main cause of my problems.
But I was keen on challenging myself to handle them with vanilla settings on.

2. Does fortifying caves help in a long run?

I did wall off caves sections I am using, but olm men tend to accumulate in water. I drained pools, made trapped paths, dropped lava, cave ins, ranged and melee combat. All too little too late, and each try takes forever to complete. And it's no good if they can just steal fps somewhere on map edge anyway.

3. Did anyone seal map entries in reasonable time without cheating?

I heard ppl seal off cave entries on map edge. I tried that but it's seems undoable with number of entries, their z height and current fps.

4. Is there any chance this could be else?
At this point I consider retiring or surrendering challenge and resorting to killing dwellers with dfhack. I could try to optimise work orders further to cut on overproduction, I am caging / slaughtering animals left and right but I don't want to continue doing this on low fps only to learn it wasn't it.

Additional info: my fort is around 200 pop cap limit. Never had any visitors to tavern (thx savage biome).

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My fort has had less than 10 fps for a looooong time.
I got used to it.
In my case I believe that lots of cave invaders have the worst fps impact.
I also have some fun with water, but haven't seen it really affect my fps.
However after I killed a hundred or so of frogpeople and birdpeople my fps went up by 1 frame.

MVladO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahhh you see, this is why I decided to ask. So it would seem that the problem is in general performance and I am wasting time trying to get rid of dwellers.

MVladO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In case anyone ever searches for this information: against my rules I went for a dfhack exterminate and offloaded about 700 units of various caver dwellers invaders. Fps tripled. Now I can end mountainhome quest before retiring.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile

This is why I mod out animal people.
They bring no substantial gameplay, but cause such headaches.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile

If you connect all 3 caverns, that gives FBs more of a chance to keep the populations at low levels down there.  I was lucky to get a FB made of gemstone that has been winning every fight for years, and so any cavern critters are just temporary visitors.  There are a couple natural passages that allow cross cavern navigation, but (aside from the FB threat) there's no reason one couldn't manually dig similar interconnections.

Raised drawbridges are a quick way to seal map edges.  It would take some scaffolding, but you could layer them for multiple Z height blockades.

I'm pretty certain unrevealed areas of the caverns still drain FPS due to the fauna pathing through there.  In the premium version, I am able to click on unrevealed tiles and (if lucky) get info about what critter is on that tile, so the game is definitely still accounting for their activities.  In particular, critters that have gotten stuck in a mushroom tree, or otherwise blocked in somewhere seem to have an even greater adverse effect on FPS than normal.

I had a fort in a reanimating biome, and had lots of issues with FPS due to a zombie explosion in the caverns.  I tried sending 30 dwarves down to clean it up and start sealing it properly, but they all died to an undead jabberer hiding up in a mushroom tree.  I was able to reclaim about 10 FPS by using DFHack to reveal all the tiles, then the liquids command to drop magma on 100s of the zombies / zombie-bits. 

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah. In particular, creatures that can fly should be exterminated as soon as they appear on map, regardless of disposition or intent. Fliers have increased pathfinding costs, ridiculously so I might add since their movement consists of useless flapping most of the time. I do not respect birds in Dwarf Fortress and neither should you.

Only god can help you if you have a large population of nearby Kea.

2. Does fortifying caves help in a long run?
3. Did anyone seal map entries in reasonable time without cheating?

The method for quickly walling multiple z-levels is as follows (for premium):

-1. Collect or prepare a large number of the same block or log. Do not use raw stone. This is very important as stones are heavy af and take forever to drag into position, while blocks and most logs are lightweight.

0. Have 10 or so dwarves with nothing else to do but construct the wall. This step is what makes this process fast - disable labors for as many dwarves as you can spare, since every free hand is needed for hauling, block construction, and building the various tiles.

1. Construct up-down stairs next to the position of the planned wall, extending from the bottom to the top. Your dwarves will build this 'scaffolding' without the need for micromanagement, but you will need many logs or blocks to construct them in one designation.

2. Construct the wall. Now that you have scaffolding next to all planned wall tiles, there is no need to worry about accidental cave-ins or collapsing tiles. Simply ensure your dwarves are guarded to avoid mass job suspension.

3. Starting from the top, deconstruct the scaffolding one z-level at a time. Designating all the scaffolding at once will result in very annoying leftover stairs. Alternatively, you can just leave the scaffolding if you don't mind how it looks. This also allows for later repairs or modfications..

The new ability to designate multiple z-levels of construction is worth highlighting, for this process.

I would also suggest you install DFhack for 50.08, as it allows for automatic material selection during the construction process, which saves a lot of clicking.

Another tip - pick a single material to build from, and make a LOT of that material. having 200 or so stone blocks on hand at any given time is very very useful.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 12:16:51 pm by Salmeuk »

Darawkay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Is this possible in the premium version of the game? If so, then how?

I recently ran a fort in an incredibly young world, and the batmen and women destroyed my fps and halted any progress.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A large number of active mining designations (light grey or green in the arted steam version) causes lag.
you can swap anything that isn't being actively dug to the blue 'planning' designation,
 -mining -one of the blueprint buttons

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile

Is this possible in the premium version of the game? If so, then how?

I recently ran a fort in an incredibly young world, and the batmen and women destroyed my fps and halted any progress.

Just find their creature definitions in the raws and delete them.  Probably make a backup first though.