Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dogs (and/or all trainable creatures) could act as shepard dogs  (Read 657 times)

Ajora

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

When a dog (or whatever trainable creatures you want) is assigned to a pasture with livestock, and some of said livestock escapes, they go out and wrangle it so your dwarves don't have to waste a ton of time doing it themselves. You could add a third training option so that you need to designate actual sheparding animals. If you were to take this route, I'd give them a speed bonus similar to how war animals have higher attack and hunting animals have higher stealth because sheparding dogs (German, Border Collies, Australian) are little fur missiles pretty much across the board.1

1Seriously, Google "fur missile" they are all sheparding dogs save for 1 pug in some swag a couple pages down.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs (and/or all trainable creatures) could act as shepard dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 02:45:25 pm »

Dogs and all canids should bark incessantly, causing stress to every being within hearing distance.

Ajora

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 05:56:25 pm »

I pose an idea to make the game better and you come back with this?

Do you have anything constructive to add or do you just like being a combative and negative elf lover?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 08:06:03 pm »

Do you have anything constructive to add or do you just like being a combative and negative elf lover?

I think you're taking the comment more seriously/personally than it was intended. If you browse other suggestion threads you'll quickly see that joke comments like muldrake's are pretty standard and almost always meant to be playful rather than malicious.

In all seriousness though, this is a good suggestion. +1.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 10:09:00 pm »

I think you're taking the comment more seriously/personally than it was intended. If you browse other suggestion threads you'll quickly see that joke comments like muldrake's are pretty standard and almost always meant to be playful rather than malicious.

In all seriousness though, this is a good suggestion. +1.

They probably just got mixed up about what thread they were in…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 10:13:11 pm »

Kind of, yes.  Sorry.  Wrong thread I suppose.

That said I still think all canine animals should incessantly bork and the smaller they are, the louder they should bork.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 01:13:16 am »

Kind of, yes.  Sorry.  Wrong thread I suppose.

That said I still think all canine animals should incessantly bork and the smaller they are, the louder they should bork.

What do you mean by “bork”?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 07:18:15 am »

When a dog (or whatever trainable creatures you want) is assigned to a pasture with livestock, and some of said livestock escapes, they go out and wrangle it so your dwarves don't have to waste a ton of time doing it themselves. You could add a third training option so that you need to designate actual sheparding animals. If you were to take this route, I'd give them a speed bonus similar to how war animals have higher attack and hunting animals have higher stealth because sheparding dogs (German, Border Collies, Australian) are little fur missiles pretty much across the board.1

1Seriously, Google "fur missile" they are all sheparding dogs save for 1 pug in some swag a couple pages down.

I like it. It would be fun to watch dogs chasing llamas around and herding them back to the pasture.