Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you like to decorate your forts?  (Read 811 times)

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
How do you like to decorate your forts?
« on: May 18, 2023, 12:17:54 am »

I've never been that interested in the aesthetics of my forts, but I've recently been thinking more about it recently, and I'm curious about how others like to do it. What are some of your favourite things to build/tips to make everything look nicer?

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you like to decorate your forts?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 12:33:43 am »

extravagantly, I like multistory rooms, artificial rivers (control by gates), rooms with support beams.
When I'm feeling fancy I have all the bedrooms face on to narrow 1x passages that I fill with water/magma(if on volcano) after putting in windows.

Just keeping no room smaller than 3x3 and having no diagonal doors does plenty to keep the fort looking pretty.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 07:50:15 pm »

symmetry and rock selection go a long way. decoration is, by definition, excess. I like picking shapes out from the terrain and fitting buildings to that shape.

looking to history for trends in garden or palace design is a good place to find inspiration. france was going hog wild in the 18th century in terms of excess

metal flooring looks pretty good in premium version. In 47.05, I was a fan of large gems in pedestals. I'm not sure how that looks in premium.

enemy prisoners in cages is an acquired taste

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 03:58:34 am »

I shape the rooms like things.  The temple to the god of performance is set up like a theatre.  If I put barracks in the hallway leading to the dangerous caves, it is usually shaped like a spear or axe.  The forge looks like an anvil, with the hallway and antechamber resembling a hammerstrike on said anvil.  Trade depots in Classic graphics have elaborate pillar patterns.