Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What causes the 'fatty' problem?  (Read 612 times)

Narrrz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What causes the 'fatty' problem?
« on: May 07, 2023, 04:09:51 pm »

When modding scales to produce leather in the same way that skin does, the resulting product doesn't seem to use the 'scale' template, or else it somehow inherits the 'fatty' adjective descriptor from fat. as a result, though '<creature> scale' will be tanned correctly, the product created is '<creature> fatty'.

has anyone figured out why this occurs, or especially, how to prevent it?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: What causes the 'fatty' problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 07:33:38 pm »

Most/all scaled creatures use BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS but with skin, leather, parchment, and hair removed. This leaves fat as the first material defined (would have been skin if not removed). I suspect it's defaulting to the first material.

If you want to fix it you need to give them leather, or remove the token taking it from them.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Narrrz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What causes the 'fatty' problem?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 06:55:18 pm »

I was going to update this, then forgot.

I did some extensive experimentation yesterday, and it's actually a much simpler fix than i initially anticipated.  You just need to copy the line from skin that says something like, [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION:TAN_MAT:LEATHER] and change the "LEATHER" to "SCALE", then add the tags for the items you want to be able to make with scale leather ([ITEMS_LEATHER] & [ITEMS_SCALED] were what i did)

The new scale leather items even become available in embark.