Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kayboard-Only UI settings? [50.08]  (Read 324 times)

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kayboard-Only UI settings? [50.08]
« on: May 28, 2023, 05:45:39 pm »

Is there any way to set the game to be playable with only keyboard inputs in the new versions?
I spent a while looking in the options for a way to do so, but failed to find any way to remove dependency on the mouse cursor entirely.

I have been playing on-and-off since before z-levels were introduced, and was away from the game for a while, not having played since the 47.XX releases, and the new UI out of the box is just... completely unusable for me, because I can't seem to find a way to get rid of the mouse.
I have some manual dexterity and pain problems, and using the mouse this much means I can't play the new versions for more than a few minutes at a time without it becoming severely painful.

If not I'll probably just have to go back to playing older versions, dwarf fortress is a very important game to me, but as it is, I just... can't play the new versions.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 05:53:55 pm by PetGreySquirrel »

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
Re: Kayboard-Only UI settings? [50.08]
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 05:08:05 am »

There's no way to entirely avoid the keyboard now. I think Putnam said in an interview that they want to make that less the case, but who knows how long that will take.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 11:56:45 am »

In the meantime, have you tried mouse keys?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PetGreySquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 05:49:22 pm »

In the meantime, have you tried mouse keys?

I have not, but I will look into it, this might be useful more generally for me even outside of making DF playable.