Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Incandescence - turn 4 - 4/4 players  (Read 2820 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile

"...A ghost?  Do you mean some kind of undead soul, or just a strange nonphysical phenomena?  Did it talk to you?"

Hm.  Stay with the sensors, and try to keep an eye out for signs of the thing.  Are the internal sensors good enough to track it as it moves through the ship?  Maybe Vellan can tell Mia where to go to nab it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile

"Did someone say something just now? We probably should have invested in an intercom."

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile

I check the weapons, making sure they are all in working order. 
Gouge out the chainsaw priest's eyes with my thumbs.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile

update being written, will be here today or tomorrow

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: Incandescence - turn 4 - 4/4 players
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2023, 10:52:10 pm »

Hmmm. It's already outpaced me, and I can't warn the others. Troubling.

Change Action: Inspect the coils more closely, whatever that ghost was isn't my problem now. The smart people can figure out the ghost, I'm here to keep the ship moving, and if I've learned one thing about engines it's that there's always some tuning up that can be done to make them faster, more efficient, or whatever. If there's a hood to poke around under, poke around under it. If not, then whatever maintenance/optimization is available.

"Already crammed myself in here, may as well see if I can't get a bit more oomph out of these coils.  Where'd I put that wrench?"

The crawlspace is a tricky place to be for tuning-up. It's locked down very tightly, usually only intended for regular maintenance while the ship is stably docked. However, Miles prods around and discovers a modification to the control couplings that could make the ship more maneuverable. Miles could make this change using some maintenance supplies to jury-rig it, or leave it alone and keep those supplies.

"...A ghost?  Do you mean some kind of undead soul, or just a strange nonphysical phenomena?  Did it talk to you?"

Hm.  Stay with the sensors, and try to keep an eye out for signs of the thing.  Are the internal sensors good enough to track it as it moves through the ship?  Maybe Vellan can tell Mia where to go to nab it.

Hovering by the nearest, Vellan can see the dials that monitor the internal electromagnetic and etheric noise of the ship wavering. The curl clearly interferes with such phenomena a lot, but she can only tell that the instruments are getting more agitated, suggesting that the curl is getting vaguely closer. How close, Vellan can't say.

Continuing to untangle its movements from the dials, Vellan muses that it doesn't seem hurried, disturbed, or really like it is traveling in a purposeful manner.

I ain't afraid of no ghost!
"Did someone say something just now? We probably should have invested in an intercom."

Unable to pinpoint the curl exactly, Dr. Mia chases down the general buzzing it makes. She dashing through the doors leaving each one askance, and readies the trap as the noise gets more jarring.

The long rows of lights above her shiver as something emerges from the floor. It's not really a thing, more an epicenter of buzzing glow with incidental static shedding away from it, a glob that distorts the image of the floor beyond it like a chaotic fishbowl whirl. The electrical systems in Mia's arachnid frame protest mightily as it lazes higher into the air, and her grip on the tokamak becomes precarious -
and then the trap springs and seizes the globule in writhing unseen pincers. The lights above blaze healthily again, as do Mia's joints.
The globule dances inside the trap, unable to reach the edge of the container.

(There are intercoms between Sonia's perch at the bridge to the other crewmembers' stations, but none between them.)

I check the weapons, making sure they are all in working order. 

Spick and span. The Incandescance isn't heavily armed, but does wield a small array of defensive railguns, as well as an "etheric disruptor" that can send erratic tidal waves out through the ether to hopefully interrupt a nearby vessel's proper operation. They were chosen to make up for each others' blind spots: the railguns don't have fantastic range, and the disruptor can't really be trained on a target.

The vessel's nose arcs gently as Sonia sets the Incandescence back on course. Gently coaxed back to operating temperature, the coils propel the vessel along the current, smaller alterations easing the ship to the 'side' every so often as Sonia takes advantage of faster and slower flows in the current.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 05:44:46 pm by Eschar »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2023, 12:09:43 am »

"Hey, that worked. Now, what exactly is this thing? It doesn't seem like a ghost..."

Let's get the thingie under some sensors! Or rather, get some sensors over it, I'm not sure if we should try moving it too much.

"Hey buddy, are ya a ghost? Blink to the rhythm of stayin' alive if you are!"

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2023, 12:00:48 pm »

I have made a grave mistake! Writing the last turn in the evening while tired, I simply rolled a single d6 for every action instead of choosing higher of 2 on the actions that get advantage. I will need to rewrite the turn, and will do that today or tomorrow at the latest.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 12:04:10 pm by Eschar »

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2023, 09:28:30 am »

No worries! Take your time! A good story is worth the wait.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2023, 05:44:59 pm »

rewritten.

S1lentWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • S1lently Wandering
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2023, 01:18:01 pm »

I'll keep that in mind, but I won't go through with it right now. Got that hullabaloo about the ghost to figure out. I figure they've probably got it taken care of, but I may as well see if there's anything my mechanical expertise can help with on the ghost-capture and/or study front, perhaps building a more stable cage for it. Either way, I'm befriending the ghost, and I'm going to call him Humphrey.
Pages: 1 2 [3]