Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade Depot still full of last season's trader goods  (Read 636 times)

Gutierrez

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling Ash
    • View Profile
Trade Depot still full of last season's trader goods
« on: August 21, 2023, 10:44:45 am »

My last human caravan was distracted by a swarm of Gray Langurs trying to steal things.  After dispatching the monkey menace, the caravan got a bit aimless and just wandered off at the end of the season leaving all of their goods in the depot.  But all of the items are still marked for trade in the depot.  If I "tidy up" my depot by seizing those spare goods will I anger my tall neighbors despite them no longer being present?  Would something like deconstructing the depot be better?

Do I just need to dwarf up and do it for SCIENCE?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Depot still full of last season's trader goods
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 10:57:51 am »

If the caravan left I don't think it matters what happens next.  The devs said that if a caravan leaves with less value than they entered with, that's all they care about as far as deciding what to bring the next year.

I assume attacking caravans works differently, but at least in your case I think you can just take the items and pretend nothing ever happened.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

sodafoutain

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:incessant muttering]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 12:10:53 pm »

I have heard anecdotally that caravans that get attacked by monsters or other creatures get pissed either way. If what Telgin says is true, they probably won't start warring with you, but when the caravan comes back, I wouldn't mind you telling us the difference in value between both.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Richard Stallman's Kind Communication Guidelines

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 03:15:03 pm »

My traders routinely get spooked and refuse to leave or continue trading, so I have to deconstruct the depot to shoo them away. Presumably they don't like this, but they've never stopped coming or declared war on me, so it doesn't seem to be that big a deal.

I do play heavily modded, if something about mod civs affects trader mechanics.

I have heard anecdotally that caravans that get attacked by monsters or other creatures get pissed either way. If what Telgin says is true, they probably won't start warring with you, but when the caravan comes back, I wouldn't mind you telling us the difference in value between both.
I have unfortunately not been paying much attention to this, but my caravans always seem fairly uniformly sparse. That might indicate they're not building up the trust or enthusiasm required to bring more stuff over time, but I just assumed it meant they were bringing more or less the same value of goods regardless of whether I accidentally robbed them last time.

I'm also mainly interested in a handful of goods (metal bars, cut gems, leather, animals), so if they've been refusing to bring nearly as many -bronze helms- I probably wouldn't notice.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 02:42:15 am »

Make sure all the traders and all their animals have left. Sometimes they can get stuck in a tree due to the fighting.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.