Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having many active burrows isn't fully supported by the game  (Read 388 times)

DeutscheGabanna

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Having many active burrows isn't fully supported by the game
« on: March 03, 2023, 06:46:06 am »

I'd really like to have more active burrows than just a single giant burrow underground for all of my dwarves.
However, this brings about many problems. Some of them are just a nuisance, but considered together they actively discourage you from having multiple burrows.

For example:
  • job cancellation spam - dwarves will first pick a job without considering their burrow restrictions, and only then become aware of them, forcing them to cancel the job
  • conditions in work orders - it's impossible to track how many items you have in a certain burrow. All of the conditions used in work orders are global, which doesn't make sense when having multiple burrows. This leads, again, to job cancellation where it turns out you do not have enough pig tails in this specific burrow, but the conditions triggers nonetheless globally.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Having many active burrows isn't fully supported by the game
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 06:59:25 pm »

I use burrows for the military. Works perfectly. Three archer bunkers, one area for the melee dwarves to hang out to catch anyone making it through the trap corridor.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Having many active burrows isn't fully supported by the game
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 12:51:24 pm »

burrows remain... incompletely implemented. the current iteration is a carry over from the previous versions, where burrows were a stop-gap feature and are meant to be more fully fleshed out at some point. as you pointed out, using them as expected (inferring from the name "burrow") is less useful than one might imagine