Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Massive framerate drop updating to 50.07  (Read 1893 times)

secco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Massive framerate drop updating to 50.07
« on: February 11, 2023, 04:27:02 pm »

Today I updated the game from 50.05 which I had held off on doing until new a dfhack version was released, but, upon loading my old save, I noticed my framerate had dropped from 45-49 (it's capped at 50) to below 20. This already happens the moment the save is loaded, with the exact same game state in both versions.

I don't expect good performance from my sub-shitty PC, but such a drop in framerate looks like it's caused by something in the new update rather my hardware generally being too crappy for DF. 

Anyone else having similar problems and/or any insights on what might be the cause?

edit: I should add that only the graphical framerate is affected, the simulation framerate remains the same between the two versions
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 05:19:31 pm by secco »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Massive framerate drop updating to 50.07
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 03:57:37 pm »

There were some changes in the tilesets, maybe that is related. Some plants have new appearance, farm plots now show growing plants etc.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 01:33:46 pm »

If that's the case, you could try using the ASCII, or is just a tileset now?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 04:22:02 pm »

If that's the case, you could try using the ASCII, or is just a tileset now?

I thought PRINTMODE:TEXT wasn’t working in the new versions, so it should be just a tileset, right?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

secco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 02:58:40 pm »

An update on this. 

For one, it seems to be related to DFHack. Framerate goes back to normal when I uninstall it.

Also, I failed to mention it in the OP, but it's purely an issue with graphical fps. The internal game fps is unaffected, and the effect is independent of what's going on simulation-wise; I get the same fps drop on a fresh 1x1 embark. Also, it's only in tiles mode; ASCII is fine.
But the weirdest thing (and, I would guess, most relavant for the sake of identifying the problem) is that it only occurs at the standard zoom level (i.e. at the tiles' native resolution). Zooming in or out fixes it (wtf).

Does anyone know where I can contact the DFHack people to report this bug (or whatever this is)?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 03:00:14 pm by secco »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 05:45:38 pm »

An update on this. 

For one, it seems to be related to DFHack. Framerate goes back to normal when I uninstall it.

Also, I failed to mention it in the OP, but it's purely an issue with graphical fps. The internal game fps is unaffected, and the effect is independent of what's going on simulation-wise; I get the same fps drop on a fresh 1x1 embark. Also, it's only in tiles mode; ASCII is fine.
But the weirdest thing (and, I would guess, most relavant for the sake of identifying the problem) is that it only occurs at the standard zoom level (i.e. at the tiles' native resolution). Zooming in or out fixes it (wtf).

Does anyone know where I can contact the DFHack people to report this bug (or whatever this is)?

Have you tried posting in the DFHack thread?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 09:36:30 pm »

An update on this. 

The proper place would be https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack
(There's also a discord linked from there, for those that just want to ask a question or chat.)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 08:41:14 am »

The 50 FPS framerate cap can be manually changed. In my experience, big forts can seldom catch up to this anyway and 100 FPS is too high for starting forts anyway, you end up accidentally leaving some dwarves without jobs.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 09:33:26 pm »

"Leaving some dwarves without jobs" isn't a problem in any capacity