Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What should be the goal of adventure mode?  (Read 1731 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What should be the goal of adventure mode?
« on: December 30, 2006, 12:14:00 am »

I was wondering, once DF has been coded to a state near completion, what will the main goal of adventurer mode be?

Personally, I think it would be nice if the devs code in many many ways for an adventurer to build a reputation, based on the deeds, quirks, specializations and other minutiae about the character.  The final product and reward would be having a unique and interesting legend written about the character (this would be a huge departure from other roguelikes and even CRPGs in general, which focus on reaching an endgame and hoarding powers/phat loot).

For instance, if you have a character who manages to strangle a giant to death with his/her bare hands in one-on-one combat , that would be a much bigger legend-building exploit than killing it in a group hunt with a dozen drunks.  You might have character who is remembered for acting weird, for example, eating beetles, keeping a pet fairy, always fighting unarmored, for almost exclusively specializing in throwing knives, wearing tons of bone jewelry, etc.

I realize that this is already part of the game, and will be developed in the future.
I'm just hoping that it will receive a lot of attention.  That way, unlike other traditional roguelikes, you wouldn't necessarily care too much if your character gets killed in a tragic turn of events- it would simply be part of a story.  If the game were to focus more on finding a unique playing style, achieving exploits and gaining fame, it would truly revolutionize the genre (as it already is in other ways).

What does everyone else think about this?  (Does this belong in the suggestions forum?)

BlueDestiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What should be the goal of adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 04:37:00 am »

That sounds like an awesome idea. My best one was to add a "castle building" stage. For instance, once you get a big enough reputation and have tons of cash, you can have a castle built to your specifications. It uses an interface akin to fortress mode for planning, but the building and other mundane tasks would be carried out by the AI. The player would essentially get to be a noble, and specify things like armor or weapons while still questing and such.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 08:43:00 pm »

From the Dev notes, I get the idea that A. Mode will become so open ended that pretty much any goal in mind of the player could become possible.

But tasks such as becoming a king, or even a demigod, would be great.

Personally, I hope that there lies a challenge in becoming even notable enough to be included in legends mode- not every sword wielding shmuck who dies in a cave will always be worthy of note.

Castlebuilding, or even more humble goals such as ranching/farming, or owning a shop, or being a famous merchant will ensure varied gameplay and fun-ness, so long as there is challenge.

HaunterV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 04:20:00 am »

If it doesnt already I wouldnt mind Adventurer mode having an impact on the Dwarf Fortress mode. I'm not sur how much of an impact I'm thinking. Maybe a travelling bard comes and regales you peasants with tales of the adventurers exploit I.e. Strangling a giant. Or maybe you can buld a statue or a holiday is named in said heroes honour....

Krakow Sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 01:14:00 pm »

On the statue is an image of the legendary Urg Fortressboots, butterflies and a Giant. Urg Fortressboots is throwing butterflies at the Giant. The Giant is making a plaintive gesture.

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »

quote:
On the statue is an image of the legendary Urg Fortressboots, butterflies and a Giant. Urg Fortressboots is throwing butterflies at the Giant. The Giant is making a plaintive gesture.

ROFL

You die in the heat.

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

I'd love for more of a connection between fortress and adventure modes. For instance, if your fortress is at war with humans, you can have an adventurer join in the battle. For this to work, we'd need to be able to play an adventurer game while fortress mode is running, and I'm not sure if it's possible.

I too would love the idea of owning a ranch or building up your own mercenary army.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 07:34:00 pm »

Very good suggestions lads, keep them coming!    :cool:

[ January 13, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]