Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tale: Duli Sporrojeha and the bag of many stones  (Read 978 times)

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
Tale: Duli Sporrojeha and the bag of many stones
« on: September 27, 2007, 08:20:00 pm »

World 2: Romorubomon Ashi
Important Events:
Places of interest:
   The Pit of Velvet, former kobold thieves' cave. This is where the bag of stones was found.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Adventure Mode
Adventurer: Duli Sporrojeha: thrower and crossbowman
Setting: The Simple Kingdoms
Story details: This occurred after I had forced DF to close via the task manager. When I loaded my adventure
mode save, it sent me back to the place I had been when I had last saved, but a few things were... off. For
instance, the world kept all of the changes I had made before I had forced DF to shut down. Among these
changes was the actual death of the adventurer I was playing as. But now here he was, alive and well again!
Also, something about the items he was carrying had changed. He was unable to get rid of them by dropping or
throwing them. every time he did, despite the fact that the item could clearly be seen laying on the ground
wherever it landed, if you checked his inventory the item would still be there. I retired him to play a
non-glitched adventurer, but eventually returned, deciding I wanted to play this strange character until he
died so I could be finished with him. Well, eventually I did lose him, but not before he had picked up a
certain leather backpack, tainting it with whatever strange phenomenon it was that allowed him to copy his
items when he dropped them. This backpack had only three items in it, each one a diorite stone. Now whenever
a stone is thrown or dropped from the bag, another appears in its place. Another one of my adventurers is
now the possessor of this bag. He happens to be a thrower/crossbowman...

-The Bag of Stones: Excerpt From Dali Sporrojeha's Journal-

[There is no date for this entry]
 We are headed for the Pit of Velvet to slay one of the few thieves rumored to be remaining there. The mayor
tells me that another adventurer never returned from there, so my party and I will need to be careful.

[No date]
 We have arrived at the Pit. This will be my last entry until I'm safely out of the cave. I hope this will
not be my final entry in this journal. May my aim stay true...

[No date]
 Apparently there were few remaining kobold in that cave. To tell the truth, I wasn't able to do much
fighting; my comrades kept seeing the enemies first and slaying them before I could rush over and help. The
thief, who apparently had slain the other adventurer to travel here, was really not that strong, but I don't
think little of the dead adventurer for it. He obviously made a valiant effort, as the cave is littered with
kobold bodies.
 Now I must come to the part that I wish I didn't have to write. One of my comrades has fallen. His body
lays somewhere in the cave; we know not where. He strayed from our group and then didn't respond to our
calls. He was probably ambushed, as he didn't return our calls as we searched the caves for him. May he not
be forgotten.
 I found a strange item in the cave! It looks like just a leather backpack, and contains three stones. This
bag is surely filled with magic, for whenever I pull a stone from it, another replaces it! As long as I have
this bag, I will never be without a weapon, even if that weapon is just a stone. Others would probably not
see the worth in it, but as a thrower I know that a stone can cause as much damage as almost any other weapon
with practice and skill.

[No date]
 We returned to town with our news to the mayor. He congratulated us and says that there is nothing more he
can ask of me. I suppose we'll travel to the nearest town to see if we're needed there. According to the map,
that means we're headed to Inigoto.

[17 Malachite, 1050]
 Form now on I shall date these entries in case someone should read my journal someday. We've arrived at
Inigoto, and our first order of business is getting rid of the goods we got in the cave for some more useful
supplies. I'm quite happy with my iron crossbow, so I think I'll get some better armor. Also, we've been sent
by the mayor to slay a cyclops in a cave called "Falseheart" to the southwest.

[23 Malachite, 1050]
 We have returned to Irigoto, successful. Once again we have brought what loot we could carry with us for
trade. The creatures in the cave did not threaten us much, but even so I am grieved to say we have lost
another friend. He wandered off to fight something and ended up without help when we couldn't find him.
 One of my fellows, Mater Amilspecut, performed valiantly however. He took heavy damage and we feared we
would lose him, but no! I swear he's as tough as an elephant. He defeated many opponents that day, so we
have extended his name to Mater Amilspecut Uqueisdi Kafit. Now his name in Common is "Mater Whirlcrafts the
Unbridled Ice of Pine"; ok, I will admit that it's more of a joke, but after recovering from those injuries,
I think he deserves a laugh.
 As a last note before we meet the mayor and set off on our next adventure, a swordsman, Lershi
"Bridlecounselled", has elected to join us. I hope that he will enjoy travelling with us.

It turns out the mayor had no more work for us. Once again we travel.

[No date]
 The mayor of "Trailrumors" has sent us to kill a pikemaster in some ancient ruins called "Bristlebronze".
Also, after taking another look at the mysterious backpack, I've found that there are now only two stones
in it. I don't understand what this could mean, but apparently there might be a chance that I could run out
of stones after all.

[1 Galena, 1050]
 We are close enough that we can see the ruins now, and I fear that we have a rough time ahead of us. Undead
scourge crawl about the place, and the ground is covered with bones and corpses, some of which appear fresh.
 We should never have come here! The grief! I feel as if I should die from guilt for bringing the others
here. The swordsman whom we had just met, and the pikeman... both have fallen. Had it not been for the
strange bag of stones, I'm sure more of my allies would have fallen. I ran out of crossbow bolts and was
forced to begin pulling stones from the bag. I began throwing them with all of my might. I don't know how
many stones I pulled from that bag, but when all of the skeletons and zombies I could see had been slain, I
found the bag to be strangely empty. Apparently I've used up the magic in the bag, but I feel uneasy...
something isn't right about this object now. I'm going to get rid of it once we get to town and retire from
my adventuring. This way of life causes too much grief and pain. I don't know if I shall ever forgive
myself...

__That is the final entry in the journal. It was found in the plains between the ruins and "Trailrumors".
Dali Sporrojeha and his party were nowhere to be found, and the journal gave off a strange feeling, as if
something terrible had happened to them,  tainting the pages of this book with an echo of some twisted fate.
The force feels distinctly alien, as if not of this world... there is little way to describe it; it is the
feeling of a twisted nothingness; an unnatural void. Maybe it was this void that swallowed them from this
world...__

(Simply put, the "bag of multiplying stones" caused DF to crash after I left the area. I've decided to delete
this world because I don't want to have to deal with these glitches.)

-=-=-=-=-=-

I hope you enjoyed it! Anyone else had any story-worthy material arise from corrupted worlds?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tale: Duli Sporrojeha and the bag of many stones
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 08:32:00 pm »

I loved this.
I hope that when magic is implemented we can have things like this.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »

Always, always, restore from a backup when you ctrlaltdel!

I've made this post at least a dozen times in the past month or two and everyone keeps having this problem, and not just new people.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 09:44:00 pm »

I understand. I simply didn't know. I'd heard about corrupted worlds but not how they ended up that way.

However, I have no regrets! It was a fresh world and produced a good story.
In fact, I might corrupt a world again sometime just to see what other interesting bugs I can squeeze out of the game.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 03:54:00 pm »

this is one thing I really like about DF; even the bugs are awesome!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 06:07:00 am »

I will always remember the time my world corrupted and I found myself wearing zombie body parts instead of clothes.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 11:49:00 am »

I think that these 'bugs' could be called !!◄Features►!!  :D

Maybe force-exiting is the way to unlock the prototype magic code  :p

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 07:24:00 am »

I have yet to run into a force exit bug, but then, I created a batch file to force exit. It contains one line:
code:
 taskkill /f /im dwarfort.exe  

closes far faster than ctrl+alt+del and as I say, I regularly bail the program without any noticable corruption.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

The key word there is 'noticable'.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Trelack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

Every time to force DF to close, a little part of your world dies.

With my first world I was pretty happy with Ctrl-Alt-Del to restore good dwarves being lost to cave floods (in fortress mode) and such. It wasn't for a while that I encountered inflate error 3 (if those are even related) but over time some zones became impossible to enter (A dwarven town in adventure mode and a couple of fortress start locations would cause the game to crash). I loaded backups of the world when it became impossible to use but otherwise didn't.

I've started a second world with a fresh extract of the game files. This time I will restore from a backup whenever my game is forcefully closed (by crash or by hand).